Fruit in beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paganknight

Reaction score
ok here it is am looking to put some fruit in a beer

Cherry trouble

5lb base malt
6.6 oz crystal 80L
8oz wheat malt
1 can wit from Mr beer kit 1.21 lb.
12.oz booster Mr beer kit
2lb dryed Cherries soaked in 1/2 gal. water then purraid fine
3 Tsp Cocoa Powder
1 oz fuggles for 10min in boil

now the question i was thinking to put the Cherrie purr in the mush tun at the last to help in filtering out the pulp but not sure about getting a stuck sparg.
or is it better to put in the last part of the boil say gust after the hops

I haven't brewed with dried cherries, but a lot of what I read and listened to (podcasts) say to add fruits like that after primary fermentation winds down, such as by racking beer onto the puree in a secondary vessel

Hummm ya i see. I was just worried about all the Pulp. still got a few days till i start this.
Trying for a Chocolate covered Cherrie flavor don't know

Fruit in a grain bag in a secondary works for frozen fruit. I think the same should keep the pulp from a purée from getting loose in the beer while still releasing all the flavor. I am interested to see how much flavor you get out of 2lbs of dried fruit.

i did two lbs in a wheat beer a little while back. I ended up getting a "hint" of color and a very lite hint of flavor. which was kind of nice not to overpowering. I used real cherries, pitted, cut in half and frozen. I just dumped them in my secondary bucket and racked ontop. simple ..... However what i didnt not count on,,, my beer went back into rementation. I only guess it was because of the fruit sugars "started the fermentation again"..

not sure, but all and all ... good in the end!.

I added raspberry puree when fementation was nearly over, and for some reason the red colour totally disappeared. No discernible raspberry taste either.

Back