Fruit in Beer: at the boil or the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I like to add fruit to my beers, whether its a white peach wheat ale or a chocolate strawberry milk stout.

It seems to me there are two different ways to make this fruit addition. One way is at the end of the boil, whether the last 10 minutes, 5 minutes or flameout. The second way is an addition in the secondary for a week to 2 weeks.

I've always done the former and never the latter, as I'm afraid of contaimination issue and the potential introduction of wild yeasts. I'm told, however, that adding fruit to the boil imparts wine-like flavors. Maybe its a self-fulfilling prophecy but, after being told this, I started to notice hints of wine-like flavors, flavors which I didn't notice before being told this.

Whats the consensus out there on adding fruit? And, if its added to the secondary, how do you avoid contaimination issues: do you actually spray the fruit with starsan? that seems odd.

I think you'll get more natural flavoring fermenting the fruit in secondary for a couple of weeks. Spraying with star san would probably not fully sanitize what is potentially in the fruit. Some people bring it to pastuerization temps and hold for a set length. I've only used the Oregon canned puree or whole fruits. They do not need to be sanitized as any bacteria was killed by the canning process.

I seem to recall someone doing a side-by-side comparison of fruit additions using different methods at different times (end of boil vs. secondary). I've been looking for that link but I can't find it anymore.

I add my fruits at secondary and I hold it at pasteurization temps for a couple of minutes.

Secondary only. I take that back I put pumpkin in the kettle for the boil, but other than that secondary only.

I've used frozen strawberries and raspberries in medium ales and always use a secondary. I sanitize 3-4 lbs. of fruit using 1/2 cup of vodka then strain out the vodka through a colander. I ferment for a week in a carboy and bottle. No infection issues.

I use both...two additions (20 minutes and flameout) then in the secondary...couldn't be happier with my results

I use both...two additions (20 minutes and flameout) then in the secondary...couldn't be happier with my results

That sounds like a great way to go, that way you probably get the complexities of what you are adding. I will have to make sure I try that next time.

When I use orange zest for my wheat beer I add to last 5 mins of boil to extract essential oils...

I've used lots of different fruit and when I can find it in frozen puree form it seems to work best. I add this either at flameout or in secondary. I think you get more fruit flavor when added to secondary. The frozen puree form is sanitary from the manufacturing process. I also think that once the beer is fermented and has some alcohol, your chances of infection go way down.

Check out the frozen section of an ethnic food store - lots of frozen puree to choose from.

I always do fruit in secondary. If using fresh fruit, sanitize with vodka. If using bagged frozen fruit, it should be fine.

Back