Fruit fly in my apfelwein...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael88n

Master Napper
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't believe it.

I assembled 5 gal of EW's AW last night and set it aside in the spare bedroom. This evening, I went to go check to see if it was fermenting. And it was...

But there was a small black speck floating up in the top of the bubbles. SO I went to the kitchen and got a knife, popped off the airlock, and carefully touched the black speck with the tip of the knife--and pulled it out. It was a dead fruit fly.

Dammit! There were no flies in the kitchen while I was assembling the juice, so that bugger must have been quick in getting into the carboy.

Since it has only been 28 or so hours from AW assembly to fruit fly extraction, what are the chances of an infection?

Thanks,
Michael

If it's vigorously fermenting, chances are pretty good the yeast took over and it'll be fine.

I also think you will be fine but if not you will have a lovely batch of apple cider vinegar.

I've actually been thinking of making some apple cider vinegar but I think I will just buy a mother vinegar and leave out the fruit flies. :p

same thing happened to me this week with my batch....how that thing got through the airlock i dont know....

Latest posts

Back