Fruit Beer Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matias

Reaction score
So I am brewing a wheat beer. It is in secondary fermentation with a total of five pounds of Oranges, black berries and strawberries. I read that we should add yeast on bottling day so that there is enough yeast to carbonate the beer. I was thinking about adding it to the secondary fermentation about two to three days prior to bottling. I would think this would add to the alcohol level and still have enough yeast to carbonate the beer. What do you guys think?

From my experience with fruit beers (done two now) there are plenty of yeast left to carbonate. In fact, both of mine ran into being way over carbonating and being gushers from the added fruit sugars. Make sure to give it a few weeks before bottling, but I doubt you really need to worry about the yeast. I've had stouts sit for 2 months before bottling and be just fine.

Adding more yeast won't add to the alcohol content unless there is more sugar for the yeast to consume. The yeast in the beer before transfer is enough to ferment out the fruit sugars in secondary and will likely live on through bottling unless the pH drops too low due to the fruit acidity. In that case adding more yeast still won't make a difference.

What was the OG and what ABV are you expecting?

Unless this is very strong, you should have plenty yeast for carbonation.

I've never added yeast on bottling day, especially with a normal 4-8% ABV beer. There is enough yeast in suspension to carbonate a bottle, it may take a few days, but it will carb.

I'd also watch the orange addition. Citrus fruits have a tendency of fermenting into cat piss. For a citrus flavor, try a hop like cascade, galaxy or citra boiled at 10 min. You can also add orange zest or orange honey in the secondary to add a little orange flavor.

The OG was 1.049 and FG before second fermentation was 1.016. I was told by the brew store that by adding the 5 lbs of fruit that the yeast would be eaten up and we should add more. What I am worried about is not having enough Yeast for carbonation.

Latest posts

Back