Frozen yeast.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueBrad

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat beer with honey and chamomile for a beer festival that is happening in three weeks. I cold crashed on Tuesday and came down to the brewery today to find it frozen. I have no idea how this happened. Bruh.

I know the beer will be fine once it thaws out, but my concern is the yeast. This is the first generation of Wyeast 1010. I planned to use this yeast for four or five subsequent batches this year.

Does anyone have any experience with re-pitching previously frozen liquid yeast?

Yay! I get to learn something else from personal experience.

Thanks!

Brulosophy recently froze some yeast for an experiment and it was fine. They didn't freeze it terribly long though. I agree with the above - make a starter and see what happens.

I have good news. After the haze wore off the glass carboy, the only beer frozen was about two gallons near the top. The yeast that had already fallen out looks to be fine.

Thanks for the help! Cheers!

Back