Frozen while cold crash - is this it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a batch accidently frozen while cold crash :( I found it as a nice brown iced juice today morning. Have no idea how long it is in that state, last evening it was ok and ambient temp was 34F, but at night it got down to 8!
It is amber ale about 5% abv...

Is it completely ruined now?
Or should I do not much worry about it and just go ahead?

Thanks guys for a quick reply!

Sounds great, I'll proceed with repitching and bottle then.

Just need to google about how much yeast I need to re-pitch :)

I have just had my amber ale pull the same stunt on me, I bottled without repitching because it looked like there was still some yeast suspended.
Unfortunately I can't let you know if it worked for another month or so.

Thanks guys for a quick reply!

Sounds great, I'll proceed with repitching and bottle then.

Just need to google about how much yeast I need to re-pitch :)
A quarter teaspoon of dry yeast, rehydrated, should be plenty.

I had one carboy get a slushy freeze. I took a chance and bottled after thawing and after rousing the yeast a bit in case it all fell to the bottom. The beer was fine.

I had a Vienna smash freeze completely solid once. I keg my beer so I wasn't worried about bottles
not carbonating. 9 days into fermentation my chamber had a malfunction and it froze into a solid block of ice. It turned out FANTASTIC. Without a doubt the best beer I've ever had. Because of this, I plan on intentionally freezing my next back with the same recipe. Why fix it if it isn't broken?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks every1 for your encouraging feedback.
Just repitched as suggested and bottled.
No worries anymore :)

Cheers!

Glad this thread was here. Had my keg carbonating on the deck do to the nice cool temps, got busy and forgot to take it in.
Hit 10 last night and peaked at 18 today, Keg is frozen, seems like i have some hope!

Ok so my amber came out really well carbonated without adding any extra yeast.
It does taste slightly of soda water, but no doubt this will age out.

Back