Frozen 1L Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
I just arrived at the place that I do my brewing at, and found that my 1 L starter of Wyeast 1318 is semi frozen. I was planning to step this starter up to a 2 L starter tomorrow morning. My plan is to leave it out for a little while until it thaws out, and then put it back in the fridge later tonight. Is this going to work, or is this yeast done?

Follow up post. If it matters, it is now 95% unfrozen. It took less than an hour in a 64 degree room to get to this point.

So it was a bit frosty but definitely not solid. That's a plus.
I'm optimistic your next step will take off - I keep my over-builds often for many months at 34°F which isn't that far away from Slush City :)

Cheers!

So it was a bit frosty but definitely not solid. That's a plus.
I'm optimistic your next step will take off - I keep my over-builds often for many months at 34°F which isn't that far away from Slush City :)

Cheers!

Definitely a bit frosty for sure. I’ve got it back in the stir plate now for round two. Thanks for the response. I was a little panicked last night, but it seems like it should work out ok.

I once had a Imperial yeast pack sat to far back in the fridge and it froze solid. When I called Imperial they were concerned about the jagged ice crystals damaging the cell walls of the yeast not the temp. Needless to say I thawed the pouch and the yeast worked like a charm

I once had a Imperial yeast pack sat to far back in the fridge and it froze solid. When I called Imperial they were concerned about the jagged ice crystals damaging the cell walls of the yeast not the temp. Needless to say I thawed the pouch and the yeast worked like a charm

Once again, life proves Charlie was right.

RDWHAHB

Tbanks for the feedback. Very interesting about the frozen yeast pack.
All seems to be ok. 2L step up has much more yeast than the 1L.

7A1FD29B-7854-4553-B237-ED1C922784E7.jpeg

Attachments

• 476C05F6-06AD-4C80-A79D-04BB76F69FF2.jpeg
    476C05F6-06AD-4C80-A79D-04BB76F69FF2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Back