froze my beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueflint

Reaction score
SO... I racked a Vienna lager into a secondary yesterday and sat the bucket on the deck to cool down (it was about 30 outside)...then I forgot to bring it back in last night. This morning I brought it in, opened it up and it was frozen across the top pretty thin. I swirled the bucket and beer broke thru the thin layer of ice real easy. I put the top back on and put it in the laundry room (cool in there...50's). Now, is there anything I should be aware of? I can't see this causing any problems but??? Anyone?

Thanks, Tony

You might have killed your yeast so may need to add more if:
a. Your FG hasn't been reached
b. You bottle carbonate.

I'm no expert though I am just reciting what John Palmer wrote in his book when the same happened to him.

F.G. was reached at 1.008 several days ago. I figured I might add a little yeast when I bottle just in case. Any other odd things to look for?

Thanks, Tony

Once it rises back to temp you should be fine to bottle. I don't think I'd add more yeast at bottling. That sounds like a recipe for a bottle bomb or two.

Once it rises back to temp you should be fine to bottle. I don't think I'd add more yeast at bottling. That sounds like a recipe for a bottle bomb or two.

I read that it was the unfermented sugar left in beer that causes the bottle bombs. If the sugar has been consumed it shouldn't matter how much yeast goes in right?

Back