Froze my beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babelfish

Reaction score
Well i added a second keg to my keggerator, so I turned down the temp in the fridge since i'm force carbing and the CO2 goes into solution better the colder the beer is. a day later i went to pour off of the first keg that was in there and nothing happened. I picked up the keg to make sure it wasnt kicked and i heard the sloshing of ice. I turned down the fridge and am waiting for the ice to thaw out, is there any danger to the beer and its flavor if it has frozen?

If it didn't freeze solid and bust the keg, you should be fine, but there isn't any reason to turn the temp down below serving temps anyway unless you want to wind up with something overcarbed. Serving temps (30s-40s) are plenty cold enough to carb at.

Defrost your beer and you'll be fine. You don't need to turn down the temperature of the fridge when adding additional kegs. The fridge will cool it down in due time.

Just let it thaw out and then resume carbing. It will be fine. I've made the same mistake before, and the beer ended up being just fine. In the future just be sure to carb at your serving temp, as one-L suggested.

That is perfectly fine, just check and maintain your carb level; see if you didn't over or under shoot it. There is an actual technique called ice distilling, used to increase the alcohol of your beer at the expense of the volume. Worst comes to worse, you'll have an ice beer.

That is perfectly fine, just check and maintain your carb level; see if you didn't over or under shoot it. There is an actual technique called ice distilling, used to increase the alcohol of your beer at the expense of the volume. Worst comes to worse, you'll have an ice beer.

It's not distillation, its concentrating.

I actually froze one of my beers last night. I set it in the freezer to chill down faster and left it in too long. Beer slushie mmmm. FWIW it tasted fine once it thawed. It was in a bottle and not a keg though

Back