From secondary to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wfu1bunn

Reaction score
Brewed a Sierra Nevada Kellerweis clone all grain. Moved from secondary to a freshly cleaned (with PBW) keg. Gravity was spot on and a sample of the beer, taste and smell, was as well. Beer has been carbonating for 3 days and last night took another sample (not yet carbonated) that tasted and smelled different than the one earlier. Didn't have the same mouthfeel (maybe because the first taste was room temp). Does carbonation change taste and smell in any way? Any other reasons why the change from secondary to keg?

Yes. Carbonation and the colder temps definitely change the temp. My kegged beers always taste different from when I pull a gravity sample.

The other change in flavor could possibly be oxidation. No need to secondary a hefe so it could have picked up more oxygen than wanted during your two transfers.

And the third option is infection. You said that you had freshly cleaned your keg with PBW. Well PBW is only a cleaner, not a sanitizer. After using PBW you should use startsan or similar to sanitize the keg. The likelyhood of this being the case, however is slim. Im making the assumption that this is your first time kegging (maybe?) and figured I would edu-macate you :)

Back