From Keg to Bottle? Possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Hello, homebrew folk...

I've been brewing for almost 2 years now and just last week landed a sweet deal on a kegerator and four cornys. :ban:

I was wondering if it was possible or advisible to brew a beer, keg and carbonate it, then bottle it.

I'm asking b/c I'm brewing up a porter and would like to have some in the keg and some in bottles for giving to friends.

Forgive the n00bie question. I did a quick search but didn't find exactly what I was lookin' for.

Jill

Funkenjaeger said:
Or you can not waste $60-70+ and build the BMBF instead, which works extremely well, costs way less (even free, depending on what spare parts you already have on hand), and already has some converts from people who used to use more expensive devices:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=24678

Oh, that's fantastic! I think I already have most of those parts, too.

thanks so much!!

Built one of the BMBF bottle fillers yesterday. Filled 6 foam free bottles first try and dripped almost no beer. I'm going to let them sit in the fridge for a week and see how they are afterwards.

Linc

Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack your thread Bedlam, but I'm also a newbie brewer and was wondering the same thing. I have a batch of winter ale now kegged for the past 3 weeks, but had the idea of bottling some of it to give to friends for Xmas. I don't have any of the equipmentfor the link given above. Is it possible to just attatch a length of tube to my keg tap and fill bottles, or even open it up and siphon from the inside of the keg (I'm guessing this would be to the detriment of my kegged ale). If any of these methods are possible, will I still have to prime bottles with a sugar solution?

Many thanks for any help- sorry if the questions are silly, but I'm still new to this :p!

Drink To Odin said:
Is it possible to just attatch a length of tube to my keg tap and fill bottles
Yes, but it's not quite that simple. The advantage of the BMBF and other counterpressure fillers is that by keeping pressure in the bottle during filling, it minimizes foam, which means more of the carbonation stays in the beer. If you fill by just pouring through a tube, you're going to get more foaming which means your beer may be quite flat after you cap it. You can try to minimize the foam by freezing the bottles first and using really low dispense pressure, but I did not have much luck when I tried it - just wound up with a bunch of bottles of flat beer.

Search the forums if you're intent on doing it that way, there's bound to be more info from people who've done it a bit more successfully.

Latest posts

Back