Friendly PSA...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathPowe

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Just a friendly reminder - attach your manifold / steel braid / whatever you use to lauter to your MLT before you mash in. :)

Yep. Made that mistake yesterday. I may or may not have had a few too many the night before and been a bit fuzzy. Imagine SWMBO's surprise as she was helping me mash in and I suddenly exclaimed s***!!!

After 20 minutes of frantically pouring the mash into an extra fermenter, cleaning my MLT, attaching the manifold and re-pouring into the MLT I only lost 2-3 degrees of temp. Was able to bring it back up with some boiling water and somehow managed 70% eff.

Still, not a method I'll be using in the future...

also don't hit your braid, manifold, whatever you use when stirring with your mash paddle with enough force to dislodge it. And make sure whoever you are teaching to brew AG doesn't do it instead of you, when he's stirring the water while you're adding the grain. Even silicone gloves that go up to your elbows and allow you to stick your hands down into the mash tun to attempt to re attach it aren't as heat resistant as you would like them to be.

Howdy folks,

Just a friendly reminder - attach your manifold / steel braid / whatever you use to lauter to your MLT before you mash in. :)

Yep. Made that mistake yesterday. I may or may not have had a few too many the night before and been a bit fuzzy. Imagine SWMBO's surprise as she was helping me mash in and I suddenly exclaimed s***!!!

After 20 minutes of frantically pouring the mash into an extra fermenter, cleaning my MLT, attaching the manifold and re-pouring into the MLT I only lost 2-3 degrees of temp. Was able to bring it back up with some boiling water and somehow managed 70% eff.

Still, not a method I'll be using in the future...

Nice recovery! How do you like brewing with SWMBO? At first I thought it would be cool, but oddly enough I find brewing more relaxing when I don't have to worry about my wife or anyone else.

Nice recovery! How do you like brewing with SWMBO? At first I thought it would be cool, but oddly enough I find brewing more relaxing when I don't have to worry about my wife or anyone else.

LOL. My girlfriend is great, very supportive of my brewing, and I can brew with her from time to time and enjoy it.

Now with that being said, I do have to worry about what shes doing. She is like a little kid, always wants the "fun jobs" and likes to play.

So the other month during chill when I came out(from running inside to get something) and she was using my probe thermometer to check the temp...I didnt even need to ask the question...but did anyways.

"Honey, you did sanitize that...right??"

Her:
"Um, oh....thats right....Um, oh..No"

Me:
"You can take it out now..."

Thankfully I have brewed enough beer not to flip out on her...

Beer was fine and I didnt have any period of forced abstinence due to an overeaction, but I now know that like the little kids she is mimics, she needs to be watched.

@ the OP that IS a good PSA. Im in the semi habit of insuring the connection with my braid is tight, but perhaps not thoroughly enough.

Honestly I wouldn't say we were really brewing together - she just helped pour grain while I stirred (and subsequently used profanity) - but I hear what you're saying. She actually got me into brewing (I've since taken it to a whole new level of BeerNerd-ery that she finds quite amusing) so she's familiar with the process and likes to pitch in sometimes. Fine by me. I can relate to what you're saying about the Solo-Brew though - I also get into the zone a bit more. At the end of the day though, it's nice to have some company that gets that I'm going to geek out for a few hours, is cool with that, and will have a beer with me. Makes the downtime during the mash more fun...

The worst part about the manifold mishap was that when I brewed last Tuesday, I almost did the same thing. I told myself I had better pull it together as that would be a total rookie move and PITA. Yeah. I think I'll start storing the manifold in my MLT once it's dry.

Latest posts

Back