Friend botched the ports when welding our keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaboon

Reaction score
I have a mutual friend (really wasn't a friend until I was introduced and handed him my keggles) who offered to weld our fittings and didn't do such a great job. The welds are good, except for the fact that all three of the bv couplers were welded flush with the inner wall of the keg, meaning the end threading got messed up. We've since corrected the mistake by using a rethreader(?) to iron out the threading, but the dip tube connection in the MT and HLT remains sketchy. The MT diptube only goes in about 3/4 a turn. As far as brewing goes, far so good, but I'm looking to go HERMS/RIMS in the near future and wonder if I should do something further to fix this. Pumping seems to work fine, I don't think there are leaks but it always is in the back of my mind. Anyway, just wanted to hear what y'all thought. Cheers!

Sorry man :( we here this all too often. A lot of times when the couplers are welded flush the threads get nicked or the heat warps the coupler enough where it doesn't want to thread. The pipe tap will help but if it's warped it is what it is at this point.

In the future have them weld the couplers half in and half out. Also were they sanitary welded (back fed with Argon)?

I actually did this, and the diagrams were extensive. I think he waited to the last minute (was letting his work buddy borrow his welding gear for a journeyman thing) and did it all real quick. All the other welds are great, so I was annoyed to say the least.

They are indeed sanitary. He used to weld for a living, and now manages weld jobs/piping installs that deal with food products, so he does know his stuff. The welds are fantastic, minus that huge mistake. First time meeting him, I guess I trusted his resume and not his intellect. Continually seeing awesome weld jobs from others makes me wish I would have looked harder or gone weldless. Still considering capping the ports and throwing weldless fittings on there. He did 8 welds for a 12 pack of beer, so that was awesome. Oh well!

As per the initial post, I am worried about the effects of botched ports if I invest in outrigging a HERMS or RIMS system. I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to to make fix the mistake.

you can install a plug in the threaded end to help keep it from distorting during welding. also protects from splatter.

You could always cut them out and install new ones. you can get oversize couplers and install reducer bushings.

As per the initial post, I am worried about the effects of botched ports if I invest in outrigging a HERMS or RIMS system. I guess don't fix it if it ain't broke, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to to make fix the mistake.

What are you specifically worried about? If they don't leak and you can thread them you should be fine. As for fixing them... other than running a tap through, which you did, that's about it. DON'T cut them out. It'll go from a botch job to a mangled butchered mess.

Ah anything can be fixed. I run a mechanic shop. Cut your way in, weld your way out. Lol

But if there not leaking i wouldn't worry about either. Unless you really can't function properly!!

Back