Fridge is JUST too small for 1/2 barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDecoy

Reaction score
Is there any way to make my mini-fridge just a LITTLE bit bigger so it will hold a 1/2 barrel keg?

Need more info to be of any real use. Full sized or mini fridge? Internal rad (some mini fridges) or hidden in the housing? On which dimension is it too small?

At this point the only real advice I can give is to remove something that isn't integral to the operation of the fridge to make it fit. Take the shelving off the door. Not enough? Take the insulation off it and then get one of those extruded sheets from the hardware store and insulate the exterior of the door. May want to slap some cosmetic finish on as well.

Need more info to be of any real use. Full sized or mini fridge? Internal rad (some mini fridges) or hidden in the housing? On which dimension is it too small?

At this point the only real advice I can give is to remove something that isn't integral to the operation of the fridge to make it fit. Take the shelving off the door. Not enough? Take the insulation off it and then get one of those extruded sheets from the hardware store and insulate the exterior of the door. May want to slap some cosmetic finish on as well.

I believe it's a 4.0 or 4.5 cubic foot fridge like the picture below. As you can see, the base of the fridge does not go to the back wall, so a 1/2 barrel keg won't fit. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2015-01-03 at 7.57.25 PM.png

Somewhere here in the DIY section there is a total build out of a "mini-fridge." The person used hard foam board and plywood (IIRC) to turn it into a much larger fridge. I don't remember who it was...

Sometimes the ice box in there is just a little divider of a zone that gets cold. If this is the case you might be able to break it down and build a shelf extender for the 1/2 barrel to fit onto. Other times the divider between the freezer and fridge actually has the cooling coils in it. If this is the case you'd best not touch it.

Cutting out some of the insulation where the compressor is, removing the door shelf and flipping the cooling element gave me room to fit a 6-1/2 gallon carboy. Would any of that work for a 1/2 barrel?

BlowOff06.jpg

Is there any way to make my mini-fridge just a LITTLE bit bigger so it will hold a 1/2 barrel keg?

A little bit bigger in what direction?

I trimmed my (I think) 3.5cf mini fridge to fit a 5 gal and a 3 gal corny. It's a bit of work, but I can fit both kegs and a 5lb co2 tank in there. Someday I'll post some pictures.

Back