fridge for lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody34

Reaction score
Do they make a mini fridge that holds a 6.5 gallon fermentation bucket?

I think a 4.4 cu ft will hold a 6.5 gal bucket, but don't quote me on that. Best bet would be to take an empty 6.5 bucked w/airlock attached to the local best buy to make sure that it will fit...or someone with more experience can chime in here. (I hope they chime in).

I use an old fridge I got cheap off of craigslist. I think its a 4.4 cu ft. Its one of the ones that has the cooling unit as a freezer at the top of the fridge. I pulled the freezer part loose and bent it slightly so it sits at an angle and that allows my 6.5 gal carboys to fit. The thermostat on it doesnt really work so i have to crack the door to keep the temps from getting too cold. Just have to babysit the batch a bit. shut the door if its getting too warm, open it a bit if its too cold. I actually have how much to crack the door pretty dialed in :)

Anyways, the ones that have the cooling unit at the top can be modified a bit so carboys and buckets will fit, if you cant find one that fits straight out. just be careful not to bend anything too much or the metal will break and cooling fluid will squirt out, and then youre S.O.L.

Don't go to best buy, all mini fridges are in boxes. Just went through a similar game, want the smallest possible fridge for a kegerator.

Latest posts

Back