Freshly dumped whiskey barrel- how long ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoutela

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Acquired a freshly dumped 8-gallon whiskey barrel straight from distillery.

Planning on brewing a 10-gallon batch of RyePA to throw in there, keeping the extra two gallons to top up (if extended oaking is the route) or to just bottle for comparison with non-oaked version.

First time doing this so I am trying to get an idea of how long of an oaking period should I shoot for ? I have read that many homebrewers pull their beer from an oak barrel too soon after sampling too early and getting scared of an over-oaked flavor.

I would not put a ryePA into a fresh whiskey barrel as the first brew to go in there. i would brew something bigger and bolder, because the barrel is going to add substantial oak and bourbon flavors that will most likely overpower the RyePA. Think RIS, strong Belgian golden ale, or a barleywine.

Mike

I would not put a ryePA into a fresh whiskey barrel as the first brew to go in there. i would brew something bigger and bolder, because the barrel is going to add substantial oak and bourbon flavors that will most likely overpower the RyePA. Think RIS, strong Belgian golden ale, or a barleywine.

Mike

Even after rinsing out the barrel a few times ?

pricey! i visited prohibition spirits in sonoma, ca and they said they sell their full-size (52gal) barrels for $110.

i've thought arranging a group brew, but i wonder if anyone has stripped them to staves and sawed the staves into cubes that can be dropped right in the carboy..

Latest posts

Back