Fresh vs Dried Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
I've always used fresh grated ginger whenever I've brewed with it. I'm curious to know what the difference in taste is between fresh and dried in the finished product and also how much you would use of dried. I typically use half an ounce of fresh with 10 or 15 minutes in the boil and get a solid ginger presence.

I have only used candied (and dried) ginger, and a little goes a long way. I think you can cut the dose by at least half by weight, though the flavor might be a little different.

I prefer using the dried ginger root available at any of the HBS. The stuff is very strong and goes along way. The only time I would use fresh ginger, is for secondary fermentation to get the spiciness. If you were looking for taste and smell, dried root works great. I throw it in 10 minutes before end of boil. This is where having a large hop spider comes in handy because you don't want to send that through your lines or heat exchanger.

Hi
Hey we are just starting to do some trials with ginger beer plus ginger wine
Any recipes out there?
We actually produce bulk ginger here in vanuatu
We dry it for export market
Appreciate any help here if there

Wouldn't it depend on how, amount used, when, and what form of ginger is used? Been wanting to work with ginger for a long time but just off the top of my head, there are several ways one could add ginger to beer. Has any one had good luck these?

- Add dried/fresh/candied to boil or at flameout.

- Make alcohol tincture with fresh/dried/candied.

- steep dried/fresh in hot water to make a tea. Add to secondary or at bottling.
OR add a commercial tea that has ginger in it.

- add directly to secondary.

Ginger
we have certified organic dried ginger for sale in kg lots if any one is interested

A little off usage, but I used fresh ginger in a Jamaican Jerk Marinade a few days ago and feel it has a very different taste from using dry ginger from the grocery.

With most recipes, brewing and cooking, using dried herbs takes 1/3 to 1/2 as much as fresh. That being said, I prefer to use fresh, more preferrably grown myself, whenever possible. Then I know exactly who to blame if it screws up.

Just my $.02

Cheers

Wanna add ginger to 1/3 of a 15 gal batch of hard lemonade in the next week. Was thinking of adding 1/4 oz dried ginger to the boil (or low simmer) for 5 minutes and maybe making a tincture with vodka + fresh ginger. Can add that when I backsweeten and bottle.

Any one try making a ginger lemonade or shandy?

For cooking purposes I found they recommend 1 Tbls of fresh ginger as a replacement for 1/4 tsp of ground ginger powder. That is a quite a difference. My Winter spice recipe called for 1 Tbls ground ginger, with equates out to 3/4's cup(12 Tbls) of fresh ginger. Just went into the fermenter last night, so will let you know.

Hmmm. I just made a five gallon batch of ginger cider. Used the whole bag of dried that I got from my LHBS in primary. I figured once it’s moved to secondary I’d adjust accordingly. Wonder if I over did it.

However ginger is one of my favorite flavors. When I bake salmon it’s practically 50/50.

Back