Fresh Squeezed IPA (Deschutes Inspired)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right, i used c-40 and c-90, mixed. i do the same thing for Red Chair. may toss in some redX next time. maybe 3oz. ?

Ooh, that's a good call (using Red X). I may steal that idea.

As far as I know Red X is only a mix of a base malt (pilsner?) with some melanoidin malt to give a red colour which was introduced to fill a niche in the market for brewers wanting to brew a red beer. However if it gives the results you want then why not :mug:

I think most combinations of this recipe will turn out dam tasty.
However, I'm going to brew this soon and instead of C60 was thinking of using C75 which is mentioned often in this thread. As I live in Europe the closest thing I have access to is Carabohemian. This should increase the sweetness a bit and add some extra body and colour, so I'll drop the wheat. I'm also going to use wlp005 as I have some here. Maybe I will mash 1 or 2 deg lower to compensate in the difference in attenuation with WLP001/US-05.
I'll also increase the amount of hops and after the Nugget at 60 min only use 50/50 Citra and Mosaic at 5 min and the dry hop. (6 oz total)
I'll let you know how it turns out in about 2 months. :tank:

Made this and grabbed a 6 pack from Michigan when I was down there. It is very close and some people who had a side by side taste test like this better.

I made the partial mash recipe on October 9th. I had to make a few minor changes considering my local home brew supply store didn't have any nugget or wyeast 1056. Instead, I used substituted nugget for columbus and wyeast 1056 for WLP013. I didn't add any flaked wheat after reading the entire thread. I also added 1 oz. of Mosaic @ 0. I'm also going to dry hop (two stages/5 days) 2.0 of Citra.

The OG came out to 1.064 so I got close. Tasted great.

Question though, has anybody bottled condition this? 2 weeks? 3 weeks?
I don't want to lose the "fresh squeezed" notes.

Cheers!

Brewed this yesterday and nailed all my numbers. Fermentation stated in about 8 hours and at the 16 hour mark it is going crazy. Really excited for the finished product.

I do have a question about the dry hop timing. How many days in do I add them and is it in pprimary or secondary? Also, what is your total time for primary and secondary? Thanks

Title: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 11 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 12.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.056
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 7.08%
IBU (tinseth): 52.47
SRM (morey): 9.01

FERMENTABLES:
22 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (83%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (7.5%)
1.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.7%)
1 lb - American - Wheat (3.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 14, Use: First Wort, IBU: 13.9
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 17.9
2 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 20.67
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 85%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Target Mash Temp: 152* @ 60 minutes

Notes: This tastes as close as I think it can get. Unfortunately I don't have access to the real thing here in Cincinnati, but tried it in their Portland brewpub last year. It's a fantastic simple IPA. This is now my house IPA. Really shines in bottle at Week 4.

Brewed this yesterday and nailed all my numbers. Fermentation stated in about 8 hours and at the 16 hour mark it is going crazy. Really excited for the finished product.

I do have a question about the dry hop timing. How many days in do I add them and is it in pprimary or secondary? Also, what is your total time for primary and secondary? Thanks

Primary or secondary question really is about if you plan on racking your beer to another vessel or not. When I'm fermenting in a conical, I'll dump the yeast before adding my dry hops (if not making a Vermont IPA). If I'm fermenting in buckets, I don't rack to another vessel and just dry hop in Primary. I feel there is less chance of infection (low) but racking to secondary there is a real opportunity to introduce oxygen which is a killer for IPAs.

When to add the dry hops? If not making a Vermont IPA, they saying goes, "wait until fermentation slows". What that really means is under normal conditions figure you'll be dry hopping starting between day 10 and 14. I don't get that scientific about it; I'm dry hopping starting on day 10.

Hope that helps

So I brewed this 8 days ago and added the dry hops last night.
It's already down to 1.010 from 1.063.
I used WLP005 and mashed a bit lower at 151 because it's supposed to have medium attenuation.
That's 83% apparent attenuation :eek:
Hopefully it finishes soon because I don't want it to end up too dry.
It's a 3rd generation of the yeast that I harvested each time by top cropping.
I think the properties have changed because this time I had a loads of yeast on top after a week compared to before.

Anyway it smells and tastes good so I'll check it again an the weekend before bottling :mug:

I overshot my OG (1.070)and FG (1.008) for this recipe. Added an ounce of Mosaic to the dry hop schedule. So here she is, a DIPA version of plankbr's recipe. She goes down dangerously smooth for 8.1% a little more malt flavor than I planned for, ehich was expected since I pre emptively upped the malts to make up for my bad efficiency on the last two brews. An easy fix for next time and delicious nonetheless!

IMG_7633.jpg

So mine has ended up at 1.007 from 1.063.
At 88% the attenuation of the WLP005 has really shot through the roof after a few generations.
I was really looking forward to a fruity and bit malty IPA.
Hopefully it will still taste balanced.

I'll be bottling it tomorrow so I guess I'll find out in a few weeks. :tank:

Will be my next brew for sure!

Ok, so I didn't lied, I brewed this beer and it is now ready to drink.

cd77f6e38f.jpg

The only thing I changed was 3.5oz of Citra Dryhop instead of 2.

My Grainfather hops filter went on the loose and a lot of trub was transferred into the fermenter. Thx to my SSbrewtech Chronical I dumped about 5 pint of trub on day 7.
Beer was hazy as hell while transferred to the keg but man look at this clarity after 1 week in the keg. Once you go kegging you never go back.

Very tasty fruity beer. well balanced, Nice color and mouthfeel. Citra for the win.

Thx for the recipe. It's a brew again recipe.

Back