Fresh Squeezed hornets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broncobob71

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We are having a bumper crop of hornets this year.

After the first pressing yesterday there were hundreds swarming the press, pulp buckets, grinder, juice bucket, everywhere.
The paint strainer bags kept them out of the fermenters, but it was impossible to keep them out of everything else.
It was so bad that it got to the point that I would only freak out when there was more than 5 crawling on my arms at a time. No stings, but really nerve racking.

I'm not sure how many made it into the press bags to get squeezed along with the mashed apples, but it was quite a few.
We tried to pick them all out at first, but gave up.

So what kind of flavor character do you think pressed hornet adds to a cider?

hornet juice.jpg

After the first pressing yesterday there were hundreds swarming the press, pulp buckets, grinder, juice bucket, everywhere.
The paint strainer bags kept them out of the fermenters, but it was impossible to keep them out of everything else.
It was so bad that it got to the point that I would only freak out when there was more than 5 crawling on my arms at a time. No stings, but really nerve racking.

I'm not sure how many made it into the press bags to get squeezed along with the mashed apples, but it was quite a few.

What ever the flavor you can bet it will have guite the sting to it!:mug:

I'm guessing that we are going to be really glad that we can do these things inside, in the summer kitchen. We usually have a zillion hornets and yellow jackets this time of year. Just make sure you name the brew appropriately!!!!

Luckily Yellow Jackets are not too territorial when they are foraging.

I wonder if anyone would have an allergic reaction if they drank cider tainted with Yellow Jacket venom...

To answer your question hornets are a bit bitter. So see bees for that matter. Probably not enough in there to change the flavour.

If it continues to be a problem, maybe it's time to think about one of those 8' X 8' screen tents in which to do your 'hornet-season' pressing? I don't know if the bees mixed with the worms in the apples will give it a different flavor, but it should certainly increase the protein value. :D

Sadly at lunch hour I decimated a new crop of Late Hornet Additions that were growing inside the water heater compartment of my camper.

I hated to do it, but I didn't have a batch brewing before we plan to go camping this weekend. Just when they were getting ripe too!

Back