Fresh Hop Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccm414

Reaction score
Open to some input on this recipe I found for an all cascade brown ale.
Does this pass the "smell test" and look like it would work?

10.5 lb base 2-row malt
.5 lb 80L crystal malt
.5 lb chocolate malt

1.5 oz cascade- 60 min (or 6.25 oz fresh hops)
.5 oz cascade- 5 min (or 2.5 oz fresh hops)

I just harvested my cascade hops and was looking for a good brown ale using only fresh picked cascades. Does this sound correct?

Thanks for the help!

Cheers-
ccm414

Looks fine to me. I generally avoid using fresh picked hops for the bittering because I don't know the acid levels and such so have no idea how much bittering they provide - but that doesn't mean you can't do it. I just like having the data. But hey, at the end of the day you're making beer, and I'll bet a pretty darn tasty one.

What yeast are you planning on?

I was thinking of using an Irish Ale Yeast. Possibly Wyeast 1084. Any suggestions for a sweeter brown ale? I like them lightly sweet over the dry ones.

You can use a less attenuative English ale yeast (Thames Valley is one of my favorites for brown, but any of the mid atten. english ale yeasts are good) as it won't ferment it until it's bone dry. You can also mash high (154-156F) to get some unfermentables in there to keep the final gravity from dropping terribly low.

You can also go a little lighter on the bittering hops so that the beer doesn't have as much of that bite to it.

Back