Frequency of Thermopen sales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesserizzo

Reaction score
After some uncertainty on my mash temps for my first two all grain batches, I'm thinking about going ahead and springing for a super nice thermometer to save myself future headaches.

I'm just wondering if there is a regular timing on the Thermapen open box sales. Looks like the last few were July 2012, Jan 2012, and July 2011. So is the pattern likely to stick and the next will be Jan 2013?

I'm also looking at one ofthese, the competition from CDN. Anyone any comments on it? Thanks.

I have a thermapen and I love it. I use it for everything from mash temps to chicken on the grill. Regardless of the $10 open box savings or not, it is worth every penny.

Another believer here. I have used several other digital thermometers but nothing like the speed and accuracy of the thermapen. It reads in 3-4 seconds so it is very convenient for mashing and checking when your boil is getting close. Also use for smoking meats and barbecue. I don't mind paying for quality equipment, I have never regretted the $100 I spent on it. It looks like there is a sale going on right now, $89 or two for $80 each. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/

I have one cooper thermometer, I needed for work, that cost about $500; the thermopen is great for brewing and a joy to use. It works better than my work thermometer. I am conserned about open box sales, if it failed the cost of the brew would be about $80 +my time.

Do NOT buy the folding units from CDN. I have a few of them for testing and it is the most expensive piece of SH*T ever. What disappoints me about it is that per specs, it should be a thermopen killer but it's not even close. In fact, it performs worse than the CDN DTQ450 that I highly recommend for less than $20.

thermodata.jpg

I have this one and can't tell the difference performance-wise from a full thermapen. It has all the great things about the thermapen including it's manufacturer for only $20 or so. I use it for eveything.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600c.html

Good to hear. Mine should be here Tuesday. Can't wait. Been using different Taylor thermometers and they suck.

I'll have to remember to check for sales in Jan.

I use a thermapen too and love it. My only (small) complaint for brewing is that you can't keep it open for long periods of time because it shuts off automatically. You have to keep closing it and opening it. I wish there was a button to turn it back on.

Back