Fremont Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlkiBrewing

Reaction score
Need a little help here. The Fremont Brewery in Seattle is a small brewery that produces some excellent beers. My current favorite is their Summer Ale. The recipe consists of only two ingredients, pale 2 row and Amarillo hops. Obviously this beer is all about showcasing the hops, it has a very pronounced citrusy aroma. I've never brewed a beer using only two ingredients. I'm trying to figure out the hop utilization/schedule. Would you add the hops toward the end of the boil, @ flameout, dry hop or not? Hoping some of you guys with more AG experience could give me some tips/advise.

Cheers,
Terry

Well now, with 2 ingredients only, kind of makes easy.

Use BeerSmith to put in ”pale 2 row” so it gets to the expected 5.2% for the batch size you wish to make. For the hops? ( guessing 5 gal batch ) Mmm I would add .5oz of the Amarillo hops for 60 min and 2.0oz for 1 min then let steep for 5 min, and use a WYeast 1056 American Ale.

I imagine there using Northwest Pale Malt, if you cant find that specific malt you could upgrade to Maris Otter which is also a pale malt. I would probably want a target mash of about 149-152
Roughly 10lb@70% youll need to adjust for your equipment

As for hops. Summer ale
.5oz 60
.5oz 15
.5oz 5min
1oz DH
That should give you a well rounded hop character 152 should give you more balance and 149 should play up the hops a bit more. I would probably use wlp060 or wyeast1272 i like that strain a lot for 1045-1055 beers

Back