freezing wort for starters...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ok so I have a load of wort that I would like to freeze to save for starters, I just don't have the freezer space for litres and litres of wort.
Its at 1.040 atm, but would I be able to boil it down, freeze it, and then when I use it boil it and add water to bring it b ack to the gravity I want?

Get a pressure canner. That way you can save wort or make starters from DME ahead of time and store at room temperature. I also can priming sugar solutions. The heat necessary to reduce wort to save space is probably greater than the heat required to can 6-9 quarts of starter.

Yea it took a long time to boil down, I now have 11 100ml bags of around 1.500 wort lol. Ive looked into canning before also, but I didnt want to the waste the wort I had to hand.

thats a bit of a guestimate as my hydrometer only reads to 1.250 but I boiled around 5-6L of 1.048 wort down to around 1.1L ( I kinda forgot it was boiling away)

Back