Freezing temperature on yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurgBrewer

Reaction score
I'm new to the who brewing scene and have ordered my first kit. Being in the middle of BFE (bum Fu.. Egypt) I have to order all of my products online and the local temperature highs during the day fail to reach above freezing. The ingredients kit I ordered has the sahale yeast in it so I'm wondering what will happen if the yeast sits on my doorstep in freezing temperatures for a couple of hours before I get home from classes. I can imagine the fedex truck will be 45 degrees at most so i imagine it will quickly drop below freezing in the package when delivered. Is this one of those days I should stay home "sick" and wait or are my concerns falsely fostered by my lack of experience?
Thank you. (I apologize for redundancy if this has been asked already)

Chester

Do you mean Safale dry yeast? Don't worry about dry yeast, it is OK to freeze. It's the water crystals in the liquid yeast that rupture the cells when frozen. With dry yeast there is no water, so no crystals to rupture the cell walls.

And that's all I needed to know, thank you. And I was hoping to get out of Supply Chain Management 310... Guess I'll have to go =\

Latest posts

Back