Freezing Starter Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwitty

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience freezing starter wort? I make 2-3 gallons of wort, DME or 2 row. I fill used but sanitized 1 to 1.5 liter water bottles most of the way, squeeze out the air and tighten the cap. This is so the it can expand when frozen and not burst the bottle. I freeze them in the chest freezer and use as needed. Just defrost a day or two before you need it. I can't think of a reason this is bad and have been making beer this way without Incident. My friend thinks there is something wrong with it but can't give me a real reason. Any input? Anyone else doing this?

Sounds sound enough.

I'd just hate to wait 2 days for defrosting them, though. When I froze wort for starters I still ended up boiling them. Actually, first microwaved for a minute so I could drop the content into a stainless pot.

The way the cap and bottle threads are designed maybe a potential place where bugs can accumulate, especially during storage and defrosting. Wrap some Starsaned plastic wrap around the lid area before freezing. In the lab we used parafilm.

Back