Freezing propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a cascade/citra IPA when it was -17. All started well, grains were steeping and then I started to get a smaller flame. The ought the boil I had to shake the propane bottle almost constantly, which is no fun at -17. Does anyone know of a way to keep propane from freezing? I should have brewed today, when it is 18 above zero, but hind sight is always 20/20.

Place the tank partly submerged in tepid water. A tub from a swamp cooler works well. This year is so warm here in Michigan that I might not need to do that this winter!

If you can keep your propane in the garage where it is warm the pressure will likely stay up. Run a long hose out under the door. Propane is a liquid in the tank. It has to flash (boil) to a vapour for you to use, that takes heat. Boiling point of propane is around -26. There is not enough heat in the air at -17 so you will eventually run out of vapour.

I brew on the back porch. How do you keep the water tepid at -17? Good idea though. I was just thinking that a recirculating heater for a truck might work to keep it warm at those temps. Any thoughts? (My wonderful wife suggested a heating blanket. Why did I just get more life insurance?)

A tank larger than 20 lbs also helps keeping it from freezing. I use to keep my 20 lb tank in a plastic trash can I cut in half. When it is cold I poured some room temperate water in the trash can. It helps, but a larger tank is easier to work with. Also a tank that is almost empty will freeze quicker.

I use a heating pad and temp controller (for safety) taped to the tank when filling my 1 lb containers off my 20 lb.

Latest posts

Back