freezer vs fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew32

Reaction score
I have looked at products similar to the Johnson Temperature controllers and was wondering if anybody had any advise on a diy version. I thought I saw somewhere that it was possible to use a home digital thermostat to control your temps in the cooler. I have a fridge and a freezer in my shed and was wondering if anybody could offer any advice on which would be better to use and what the easiest and cheapest method would be.

I want to be in the range for both lagers and ales (not at the same time I just alternate) and want a consistent temp

Many times newer fridges don't go below 38-36 degrees, most such controllers in order to hold temperature go about 6 degrees below set temperature then don't turn on again until at temperature or a bit above. If you set your controller at 40, it may actually try to go down to 34 initially.

Older refrigerators tend to be able to go cooler, and can work decently in these ranges, however if you want to be able to hold steady at very low temperatures such as that a freezer is a better option. Best option is chest freezer. Then you can use the fridge for your ales, and the freezer for your lagers and have totally temperature controlled fermenting environments.

Freezer will be better insulated and allow you to get to lower temps that a fridge may not be able to hit (i.e. lagering at 34F). I'm looking for a craigslist freezer right now, thinking about two actually (1 for lagering, 1 for ales). You could use the fridge for ale ferm temps if you wanted.

As far as a DIY controller, search here for the Ebay controller build. I've seen it. I think it uses a STC-1000 controller. I'm going to opt for a TSS2 controller myself, I think.

I think for the sake of simplicity I will do with the johnson controller. I will be able to switch between my freezer for lagers and my fridge for ales. With the research I have done and my wiring capabilities I will not try to do this myself.

What about the TC-9102 control products dual stage controller? I was looking into the same thing and this looks like a good option. What do you think?

Dual stage is probably the way to go. I have a single stage Johnson Controller, an A19, and it's okay. The temperature dial is pretty much meaningless and the copper coil wire seems a little delicate.

Latest posts

Back