Freezer dying, low on freon? - need confirmation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustBow

Reaction score
Pretty sure I know the answer but just wanted confirmation from the "pros"

I have a smaller 5-6 cuft keezer that I purchased off of CL about 2-3 years ago. It's a "Crosley" brand so obviously is probably more than just a couple years old. The interior "square" layout allows me to get 4 kegs in there with 1 on the hump and a taller collar.

Anyway, it's been running fine for the 2-3 years since I converted it - using a Johnson A419 controller & a hard drive fan mounted to the lid constantly blowing down. A week or 2 ago I noticed it seemed to be running every time I went to the basement, I chalked it up to coincidence. Then over the long weekend I noticed the temp was in the 50's (I keep it in the 38-40 range). I cranked up the unit's thermostat from medium setting to max to give it some extra juice. It slowly worked its way down from 55 to low 40s over the course of a day or 2 but never got any lower and seemed to be running 24/7.

Also, I noticed instead of the usual minimal condensation on the floor, there is an ice line forming around 50% of the freezer, right about where I assume the tops of the cooling coils are.

I unplugged it for 24 hours and restarted it again last night without any temp controller at all and water in a cup was only in the mid-upper 40's this morning.
And the ice line is forming along the same 2 areas - at the top of 2 walls but not the other 2.

From what I've read this seems to indicate low freon/refrigerant.
And if that's the case, it's pretty much the end considering the cost/benefit of replacing that fluid compared to simply replacing the unit.

thanks for any advice

Make absolutely sure the condensing coils or whatever the Crosley used in the day are very clean. Any loss of cooling will hinder the refrigerant becoming completely liquid again.

Icing up is an indicator that the refrigerant is 'gassing' before it's entering the evaporator.

If you are in love with the interior, there are options for saving it.

'da Kid

That is the one thing I haven't done yet - check/clean the exterior coils. Only because they must all be on the bottom of the unit - or encased in the back somewhere because there are no visible coils on the exterior sides of the unit anywhwere.
I just did not get around to tipping the unit over yet to acces the bottom since that's a little more complicated now with the double-hinged collar, faucets, tap handles, 2 CO-2 lines, etc.
But I will take a look tonight as a last gasp effort.

If I can fix it easily enough I'll keep it around, but I'm not "in love" with it to the point of having to rescue it. Been thinking about converting to a fridge anyway..... but if the freezer is dead I want to know for sure so I don't pass along damaged goods to someone else.

thanks

"Modern" chest freezers typically have the condenser "coil" buried under the cabinet skin. If you touch the outside after the compressor has been running for a few minutes it should be noticeably warm...

Cheers!

I believe it felt warm, no better or worse than normal..... just not getting down to cool enough temps and it's getting that ice on the tops of 2 of the walls.....

The actual intended point was, if you can feel heat when touching the cabinet while the compressor is running, there won't be a condenser coil to clean, as it's buried under the cabinet skin...

Cheers!

I took a look tonight and there are no coils visible. The compressor unit is located in a back corner, I cleaned everything as well as I could - dust and other basement fuzzies :)
There's not much else for me to mess with - a couple wires, a couple metal tubes going in & out of the compressor housing and disappearing into the freezer walls.
From what I read online today low freon gets blamed a lot when something else is usually the problem but I don't know how to really test for anything like that

Yeah, I've read it can sometimes be cheap/easy fix like a defrost switch or a thermostat part or something like that...but by the time you pay an HVAC/fridge guy a service trip fee, even a "cheap" repair might not be worth.... I bought the thing on CL for like $60... new freezers, decent used fridges/freezers are not that much, probably best to put the money towards that at this point

But if anyone lives near Cincy, wants a free keezer and collar setup and is good with this stuff or "knows someone" who is, then they can come get it :)

Back