Freezer closed with equipment = mold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
I left my freezer closed over the winter with my co2 tank, regulator and hose.
It's not awful, but there's a little surface fuzz and black junk.

I'm wondering if I can salvage my regulator somehow? The valve to the hose was closed.

Can it be dunked or will that ruin it?

I wouldn't mess with it. If I did, I'd take it apart carefully and clean it rather than dunking it.

Your mold was caused by stagnant warm moist air. If your hose valve was closed, it probably didn't even enter the regulator, which is probably also filled with CO2

I'd clean the outside with some bathroom cleaner containing bleach and let it air dry completely. That stuff does miracles on mold. But don't let it get on anything that will come in contact with the beer. The chlorine will dissipate in a little while with some air circulation.

What Homercidal said.

You could also mix a 10% bleach solution and clean everything with that. you could spray down and wipe off all the surfaces. I would be against dunking your reg in anything too.

Yeah the regulator was on the co2 bottle - so in theory the mold is just on the surface of the outside - or possible up into the part where the hose attaches to the regulator and on the closed valve inside the regulator. I guess I'll give it a try cleaning up and take it from there. Thanks. I've let it sit out in the sun for a few days to start heh.

Back