Freezer Alarm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanbeer

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an upright freezer to turn into a fermentation area (2x2 carboys). I know that some freezers have an alarm that sounds when the temp goes above a certain point. I also know that freezers were meant to stay at a temp much cooler than 65.

1. Will I damage the freezer by maintaing fermentation temps, not freezing temps?

2. Do I need an outside temp control device to bypass the freezer's temp control?

Thanks guys!

Can't help with the alarm part. Never owned one that does that.

However you will definitely need an external temp controller. With that the power to the freezer is kicked on and off as needed to maintain whatever temp you set it at.....won't damage the freezer at all.

Cool. Thanks man. Not much of a DIYer but it looks like I don't have much choice in the matter if I want a large fermentation box!

Sounds like a great place to start being a DIY-er! Easy project… Buy a temp controller (or build your own), put the temp probe inside (depending on the gasket you may need to cut or notch out the weatherstripping on seal for the temp probe wire), plug it all in and set it and forget it!

Agree with above poster, Im not aware of freezers that have temperature alarms (except maybe these new ones that seem to have supercomputers in them in). If your’s does in fact have an alarm you could probably figure a way to bypass or turn off the speaker/beeper. Also agreed that you wont need to worry about the freezer damage. If anything the freezer would likely last longer since it is less work for the compressor to stay at ferm temps as opposed to freezing.

I just got a chest freezer off of craigslist about 4 months ago. It's a 4 year old model and it had an alarm on it. Suuuuper annoying. You could hear it from the street. Every damn time the compressor kicked on.

I opened up the control panel found the circuit board and the little speaker/buzzer module, with the intention of cutting the blue wire or whatever. Turns out it was soldered to the circuit board. Since that is well outside of my area of expertise, I decided I would not attempt to un-solder it. Instead I took a pair of garden shears to it. One snip right through the middle of the little buzzer thing (it was just a stubby little black cylinder), and it was effectively neutered.

Long story short: If I can disable the alarm without electrocuting myself, anyone can do it.

Back