Free shipping on sacks of grain from F.H. Steinbart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing a bulk grain order gives me the option of free shipping. I have 60 lbs of grain in my cart and can do free shipping.

This has to be a mistake/glitch, right? I love the price but really don't want them to lose money.
I cannot speak for F.H..... but i know at morebeer.com and williams brewing if you buy grain by the smaller per pound size (10# bags for example) they will qualify for free shipping, as long as you hit the minimum threshold (i.e. $59 for morebeer, $99 for williams, and i think FH is only $40!)
In other words, the shipping is built into the per pound price.
I know a lot of users will buy some extra grain to hit the threshold for free shipping. Usually i do it on speciality malts. I get the base malts via bulk sacks but the specilaity this way.

Last edited:
Doing a bulk grain order gives me the option of free shipping. I have 60 lbs of grain in my cart and can do free shipping.

This has to be a mistake/glitch, right? I love the price but really don't want them to lose money.

Lots of places do free shipping on grain, just usually not the full sacks. The shipping cost is built into the grain price. I think the issue with full bags is that many shippers have much higher prices once you go over a certain weight, 40 or 50 pounds or something. So I wouldn't be surprised if my order for 55 pounds of grain (by the pound, not the sack) came in two separate shipments, because it's much cheaper to ship that way.

Lots of places do free shipping on grain, just usually not the full sacks. The shipping cost is built into the grain price. I think the issue with full bags is that many shippers have much higher prices once you go over a certain weight, 40 or 50 pounds or something. So I wouldn't be surprised if my order for 55 pounds of grain (by the pound, not the sack) came in two separate shipments, because it's much cheaper to ship that way.

That makes sense!

I would just hate to make a purchase that would actually hurt their business, you know?

That makes sense!

I would just hate to make a purchase that would actually hurt their business, you know?
I 100% agree!
I will say this... i now know a lot about F.H... and i like that i can order from 0.25# to more at the same low rate. (With morebeer i have to order 10# to get a a good deal)
So... i will probably use them again.

I 100% agree!
I will say this... i now know a lot about F.H... and i like that i can order from 0.25# to more at the same low rate. (With morebeer i have to order 10# to get a a good deal)
So... i will probably use them again.

I've ordered from them in the past and they were great! I love that Mecca Grade malt.

To clear it up, I emailed FH to apologize about publicizing the free sack shipping, in case it was an error, and they replied thusly:

If you see a good deal from us, intentional or not, feel free to take full advantage! I've talked with many folks from Bend who've found us after your local home brew store, sadly closed. Thanks for helping us spread the word.

That said, yes that was a mistake in our online shipping calculator and it should be fixed now so you'll likely have to pay some shipping moving forward. We've been in talks about how to balance shipping costs with making sure we can serve our customers at a reasonable price.

So yes, it was a mistake, but it's all good and there are no hard feelings. Sounds like they gained a few new customers through all this, anyway. Cheers to that! :mug:

I'll eat my words - it came FedEx in one box.

Because they supply commercial and homebrew they must have good deals worked out with FedEx, plus have very low product cost.

I figured it was a mistake. Getting full sacks of grain is becoming a real PITA. Two years ago I had 3 LHBS within 40 minutes of me that all carried full sacks. Two are closed now so went to the third and still open but selection was not great.

I think it is weight issue for mail order. Maybe Chewy should get into the business, they seem to have figured out how to handle delivering similar size packages.

I figured it was a mistake. Getting full sacks of grain is becoming a real PITA. Two years ago I had 3 LHBS within 40 minutes of me that all carried full sacks. Two are closed now so went to the third and still open but selection was not great.

I think it is weight issue for mail order. Maybe Chewy should get into the business, they seem to have figured out how to handle delivering similar size packages.

I ordered 55lbs of Golden Promise at the by-the-pound price, got free shipping. They shipped a sack.

Their mark up for by the pound is enough for them to cover the shipping.

Assuming one can make use of a 15% (or $10) coupon, FHSteinbart has the lowest regular price on 50lb of 2 row, shipped:

FHSteinbart- $53 Great Western
MoreBeer- $55 Briess, Viking
Atlantic Brew Supply- $61 Briess, Canada Malting

Well... what's the old saying about Karma? It's a beyatch?
My first order arrived as promised.
I was so giddy about the deal, I decided the next day to make a second order.
That order supposedly arrived to my front porch on a Friday late afternoon- and when I came home that evening, it was gone...
Porch Pirates, I suppose... although the thought of a someone running to their car with a 55# box just seems funny to me... No way they rode off on a bike!
According to FedEx, it was delivered... So after a run around with FedEx, I was told to reach out the shipper. I was told by F.H. Steinbart's basically I am out of luck.
But: "On the bright side, you're only out the cost of the grain since shipping was free and we now charge for shipping on full bags of grain." (yes actual quote from a representative! Overall the tone was nice, but I still spent $50 on the grain that I am eating).

Not F.H.'s fault for sure. I just wish they would have at least pretended to throw some weight on FedEx.
Oh well. Karma strikes again, I guess.

Wow, that's a real bummer. I've heard tell of Amazon replacing items that are stolen by porch pirates, but it seems rare with other companies, understandably.

Wow, that's a real bummer. I've heard tell of Amazon replacing items that are stolen by porch pirates, but it seems rare with other companies, understandably.
I wasn't going to mention it, but... I had an issue with an Amazon package. Granted, a $30 purchase only. I went in, clicked it did not arrive, and was issued a new product in under 12 hours. This secondary shipper also used FedEx. I myself have mixed feelings about the 'zon, but this re-seller is not a huge mega-company, either. I think they just get the newer model of modern day sales...
I get the double-edged sword- if you use the big guys, the little "local" guys go out of business...
Again- I left that out of my (rant?) above, as it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. But- a stark contrast of how each case was handled.

I guess the poor folks at my local UPS Mailbox store will have to sign for my 55# grain orders now!

Sucks. Walgreens has drop off/pick up with FedEx if you need a safer location. Oddly enough, the package limit is 55lb.
I did not know that. Good to know.
I have a "mailboxes etc" style little box (it's a UPS store now, but Amazon, FedEx, USPS go there too). I use it when I know I will not be home OR the package is, say- not 55 pounds.
I have never been a proponent of 'Ring' style cameras (in CA we do not prosecute theft under $999.99- seriously. Look it up). So why need a grainy photo of a guy you can kinda see their face? But- i would honesty pay money to see the thief react to that package!
Which is why I am still 50/50 that it was actually stolen- I think it may have been delivered incorrectly and/or something else.

Edit: I forgot to mention... I think I need one of these stupid doorbell cameras if only because my other neighbors do... in other words, the thieves will come to me because I do not have a camera, but my neighbor does. Or, as the classic line goes... I only have to outrun you- not the bear.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was going to say... I kind of suspect this more than theft.
Yup- I agree. FH Packages the grain in a weird box- I was shocked that it fit inside it. It is very clunky and very hard to carry, as the weight is very centered. I had a hard enough time getting the first box inside my house. I am not accusing anyone of anything- it is just frustrating that I am getting stuck with no help. I walked up and down the houses next to mine- no packages. I was expecting to see shred of the classic white Weyermann sack blowing around, assuming if it was stolen it was quite a disappointment to the thief. I have not seen large flocks of birds around anywhere, either- assuming the grain was ditched a block away.

I was contemplating a charge-back (I use my AMX for this reason) but given the fact they honored the free shipping... I do not want to be a jerk. But I would have appreciated a little more fight back from the merchant to the shipper on my behalf.
I will let it go... it's done. Not worth the fight. Plus my Brewie B20 finally died, so I am awaiting my new foundry, so no need for the grain right now anyways. Obviously, I need to keep my Cosmic Karma Alignment in check, so I have let this go.

Yup- I agree. FH Packages the grain in a weird box- I was shocked that it fit inside it. It is very clunky and very hard to carry, as the weight is very centered. I had a hard enough time getting the first box inside my house. I am not accusing anyone of anything- it is just frustrating that I am getting stuck with no help. I walked up and down the houses next to mine- no packages. I was expecting to see shred of the classic white Weyermann sack blowing around, assuming if it was stolen it was quite a disappointment to the thief. I have not seen large flocks of birds around anywhere, either- assuming the grain was ditched a block away.

I was contemplating a charge-back (I use my AMX for this reason) but given the fact they honored the free shipping... I do not want to be a jerk. But I would have appreciated a little more fight back from the merchant to the shipper on my behalf.
I will let it go... it's done. Not worth the fight. Plus my Brewie B20 finally died, so I am awaiting my new foundry, so no need for the grain right now anyways. Obviously, I need to keep my Cosmic Karma Alignment in check, so I have let this go.
I have had stuff come to me and be delivered to another house on the next street over because we have the same house number. It's rather odd in that I have a four digit house number and there can't be but a few dozen houses on my street and the next street over is even shorter. It's possible the initial numbers relate to blocks or something but I have never been able to determine from tax maps a link to the numbering system of the houses. Anyway, maybe try a street over either way if the house numbers are the same.

Back