Freaking wind!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always hated windy days--now I hate them even more. I had my brew kettle sitting outside on a table and the wind blew the whole damn thing over. the kettle landed right on top of the thermometer--broke it into a million pieces. 35 bucks+ down the drain. :(

My own damn fault, but come on, how much do those things weigh? that had ot be some strong wind.....

Was your brew kettle full? If so, that IS one heck of a wind! Was the brew kettle damaged?

Bad luck there Orrelse. You live and learn I suppose (but some lessons are a little harder and more unfair than others :().

Thought you were talking about the other kind of wind! My late lamented brewing partner, Michael, could knock down a moose after four sausages and a couple pints!

It's like horse back riding. You've got to pick-up and make another batch right away.

No, I wasn't brewing, the kettle was jsut sitting outside on a table. It was empty--otherwise it would have been a thread full of profanity!!!!!!

My thermometer is destroyed, but thank goodness I have a back-up.

Careful there Orrelse....El. P and DeRoux would have moderated your a$$! ;)

Wind is a pain...I once put my motorcycle helmet on an empty oil drum once while I started up my bike and the wind blew that off...there were many profanities that day..400 quid crashing down on the floor. Once they take a tumble, they should be replaced. :mad:

it was windy here too (and today!). put off brew-day untiul the wind and the cold front pass through....sorry to hear about the kettle.....

Hey B try driving my jeep in that wind, I was at mikes shop Sat Evening, on the way home I was having to cross the HR Bridge Tunnel, I was all over the place and I didnt even attempt to go over 55mph.. Other than that it started freaking snowing after it was 60* earlier

BeeGee said:
We had that same wind last night...blew my patio table over, but didn't break it.

That wind blew down a 20 foot section of the fence around my yard, too. Fortunately, this was a few hours after I took pictures of the fence to show the folks at the SPCA that we had a "good strong fence around the yard" as part of the requirements for adopting a dog. :D

-walker

XTrmXJ said:
Hey B try driving my jeep in that wind, I was at mikes shop Sat Evening, on the way home I was having to cross the HR Bridge Tunnel, I was all over the place and I didnt even attempt to go over 55mph.. Other than that it started freaking snowing after it was 60* earlier

Did you get lactose? I picked some up for ya the other day....if you need it great, if not, I'lll use it...I think I'm gonna do an all-grain version of the porter you are doing....

Why is it that the day I have to boil, outside, that's the day it starts snowing, and then the moment I fire up the jet burner the wind starts up?!!

I should hire my self out to the storm hunter people, I could sit in the back if there pickup with a brew kettle and a jet burner while they chase tornados....

Hope I have enough propane! :rolleyes:

ORRELSE said:
Did you get lactose? I picked some up for ya the other day....if you need it great, if not, I'lll use it...I think I'm gonna do an all-grain version of the porter you are doing....

Is there a way to add a little Hickory Syrup to a Porter for flavor...

Heres a story, sit down and snuggle up.. I went to go and pick up my snorkle that day of the BIG wind... Well After welding all day on a Dam Toyota, outside, in the snow, on cement, laying on my back, I was feeling like a cup of coffee.. Well I stop at a gas station, and went inside, I see a glorious sign, it glistend like the Heavens had opend up and shined a ray of sun down on this coffee... I got all fuzzy inside... The sign said , French Vanilla Cinnamin Hickory Syrup Coffee... WHY not, doesnt sound bad... LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS THE MOST GLORIOUS TASTE IN MY MOUTH, IT REMINDED ME OF BEING A KID EATING PANCAKES AND WAFFLES WITH HOMADE HICKORY SYRUP... MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

So, B you make a Coffee Milk Stout, How about a Hickory Milk Stout?

XTrmXJ said:
Is there a way to add a little Hickory Syrup to a Porter for flavor...

Heres a story, sit down and snuggle up.. I went to go and pick up my snorkle that day of the BIG wind... Well After welding all day on a Dam Toyota, outside, in the snow, on cement, laying on my back, I was feeling like a cup of coffee.. Well I stop at a gas station, and went inside, I see a glorious sign, it glistend like the Heavens had opend up and shined a ray of sun down on this coffee... I got all fuzzy inside... The sign said , French Vanilla Cinnamin Hickory Syrup Coffee... WHY not, doesnt sound bad... LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS THE MOST GLORIOUS TASTE IN MY MOUTH, IT REMINDED ME OF BEING A KID EATING PANCAKES AND WAFFLES WITH HOMADE HICKORY SYRUP... MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..

So, B you make a Coffee Milk Stout, How about a Hickory Milk Stout?

I don't see why you couldn't. Do they make a hickory extract? I'd be cautious using any type of pre-made syrup--because of the oils (butter, vegetable oil, etc.) that may be in it. You'd be better off making your own with water, sugar, and an extract. I've done it before using vanilla extract. That beer is still aging.

We have this nasty wind again today. We measured 45 knots this morning--that is 50 MPH!!!!!! Unreal for gradient winds (weather geek talk). I'm dreadign going outside in this but I have to. I blew a tire on my way home from work last night. Don't have a spare so I have to change all 4 of them (bigger size) so they match. UGH. :mad:

Back