Frack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Brewday. Lawnmower beer attempt two on Direct fired RIMS:

I think I had a slight scorch at the end of the mash. I was stepping up to mash out and I zoned out for a minute and noticed the flow has slowed. I swear I could smell a bit of burnt smell.

Damn, I should have done a stout. Probably wouldn't have noticed. But this is a lawnmower beer.

Oh and it's going to be a DRY one. I redid my manifold and didn't bother to solder the joints as I could not find the torch. Hit it with a spoon mixing the mash at dough in. I was a little under (new thermo on the HLT must be out of whack).

I hear boi-onk sound and notice the pump is now clogged with grain. Took me a while to figure out what the **** was going on, but ... glad I have the chemical gloves that go past your elbows.

Fixed it, soldered the damn thing and got going again. Mash was probably at about 145 and under for an hour.

Well, at least it was only 6.25 kilograms of malt (40L).

It's in the kettle now. Yee haw. Now I was going to use a neutral quick firing high attenuating yeast but now I might go for something with some character to off set the slight burnt flavor and less attenuating. I dunno. Maybe I'll let the Apfelwein decide... <runs in house to pour a liter....> :drunk:

FRICK... sorry to hear. I once forgot to attach my hose from my false bottom to my bulkhead before I pumped over my strike water. Yah, no grains, but I also dont have those gloves!

Well; ended the day with a hose coming off the QD and 20L of beer on the ground. 40L batch so I still have one keg worth. The Gremlins were out in full today.

Oh, I also spilt boiling water on my hand after I pitched the yeast and was making tea. Yay! :cross:

At least the wort was CRYSTAL CLEAR. 3 cheers for recirculating mash!

Latest posts

Back