Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at this being one of my next few brews, but have a coupe questions.

1. I know a few pages back states to use the recipe on the 1st page, have any corrections been made to the IBU's?

2. Has anybody tried using WY1450, Denny's Favorite? I have Yooper's Oatmeal Stout fermenting with it right now and using the yeast cake for this would be perfect timing.

3. From the last 10 -15 pages it sounds like the ideal coffee addition is to use whole beans in secondary. For how long and has anybody experienced issues with different brands of Sumatran or Kona? I have a local coffee shop and grocery store that I can get both from.

I just brewed mine so I can't say much for your questions bolus, but a question of my own has come up, and I don't know if it was answered in the last 100 or so pages. Is anyone having head retention problems due to the chocolate addition?My beer was bubbling away in primary but there wasn't any big krausen, so I'm wondering if that's due to the chocolate...it seems to have a film. Have people cold crashed and scraped or just left it or...

I just brewed mine so I can't say much for your questions bolus, but a question of my own has come up, and I don't know if it was answered in the last 100 or so pages. Is anyone having head retention problems due to the chocolate addition?My beer was bubbling away in primary but there wasn't any big krausen, so I'm wondering if that's due to the chocolate...it seems to have a film. Have people cold crashed and scraped or just left it or...

I didn't have any problem with head on this beast and I even did the stupid thing of throwing the coffee grinds at flame out (terrible idea, worse than a stuck mash). I just left it and bottled it like the norm

Cheers

I'd like to know what others did for hops as well. I just sampled mine, down just below 1.03 and its far too bitter for my tastes. I went with 60 IBUs and will never do it again. I don't know what the original beer was like, but this is pretty resinous.

What was the issue with grounds at flame out? I tossed them into my hop spider.

I'd like to know what others did for hops as well. I just sampled mine, down just below 1.03 and its far too bitter for my tastes. I went with 60 IBUs and will never do it again. I don't know what the original beer was like, but this is pretty resinous.

What was the issue with grounds at flame out? I tossed them into my hop spider.

I'll never put coffee in a brew kettle again.

Astringent from hell

I'm guessing that at some point Founder's updated their site to say 60IBU's, but somehow they calculated the IBU's contributed from coffee and chocolate, possibly? Just a guess but it may better represent the bitterness rather than putting it as 20IBU's.

Any early tastes of this recipe are going to differ wildly from the finished product after it ages. Have some patience, it is a delicious brew.

It's a long thread and I don't remember the middles, but I've brewed page 1 3x w/great results. The cool thing about this hobby is making slight changes to recipes based on inventory substitutions or intentional modifications, THEN seeing if you can taste the difference.

There will be future beers...fear not!

Brewed this today, went well for the most part. I thought i had bittersweet chocolate in the cupboard but it ended up being Ghirardelli Sweet Chocolate Powder and Cocoa, it was all I had s I went with it.

I had to sub the hops due to LHBS stock, went with Magnum for the 60 min and Northern Brewer for 30 and 2 min additions. The 2 min hops ended up being flameout additions because I forgot about them until I started to chill and noticed them on the table.

And to top it off my OG was low at 1.073 due to not boiling off enough. I planned for 4.5 gal since I do BIAB and ended up with 5 gal. I think I've finally got my boil off/ chill evaporation/ and trub loss figured out though.

Last thing is I'm thinking of trying to make a couple of gallons into KBS by adding some JD at bottling, I like how Denny Conn's BVIP turns out with adding the bourbon at bottling instead of aging on it. Any thoughts?

Just sampled mine, brewed a few weeks ago. The bitterness has really melded into the beer well, 60IBUs may not be the end of the world. I split off a gallon to do with .3oz oak in 1/4 makers mark, put some cocoa in both of them and attempted to purge my headspace with my kegging c02 line for the main batch. Can't wait!

Checked the gravity on my batch this morning, since airlock bubbling as slowed to about 1 per min. After 6 days it's down to 1.014 so a little lower than the OP, but this has been my general experience with WY1450. I've also never been disappointed with the finished product feeling thin, seems to be a quality of this yeast to provide a smooth mouthfeel even at lower FG's as long as you don't over-carbonate.

My question at this point is when is the ideal point to add the coffee, vanilla and cacao nibs? I don't think the FG is going to drop anymore, I moved to a room that's about 5 degrees warmer than my basement to ensure it finishes, but I think the yeats is more or less in "clean up" stage at this point.

Should I add all three at the same time? Maybe do cacao nibs and vanilla first, then beans for only 3 -7 days? I haven't had a lot of luck wiht getting vanilla to be as strong as I want in beers so I don't min that being on the beer longer than most do, but this will be my first time adding nibs and coffee so I'm not sure what's ideal there.

I've always added coffee at bottling for mine. I added cocoa powder in secondary.

Jealous of your FG, mine only got down to around 1.024 or so with Notty.

I have some bourbon and oak I'm thinking of putting in, but not sure how much to add. I have .3oz oak soaking in 1/4C of bourbon, but I'm thinking that's way too much for the gallon batch I split off.

Take a peak at the Alagash Curieux clone thread about the amount of oak/bourbon used in that. This can stand up to more than that, a triple is more delicate and won't hide the oak/bourbon like this big stout will. I think the amounts you have will be fine in this.

Hi All,

Question on the coffee portion:

"2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout"

Is this really just coffee grounds going into the wort? If so, what's the best way to ensure that they don't end up in the secondary/keg/bottles? Treat it like trub (cold crashing, etc)?

Hi All,

Is this really just coffee grounds going into the wort? If so, what's the best way to ensure that they don't end up in the secondary/keg/bottles? Treat it like trub (cold crashing, etc)?

Dear god do not throw it in at flame out. It will clog everything. My beer turned out great but it was way too much effort.

The hop spider is an excellent idea. Or just add some cold press at bottling.

I'm planning to add whole beans in the secondary as moops mentioned on page 97. Just wondering how long after FG is reached I should add them

Last thing is I'm thinking of trying to make a couple of gallons into KBS by adding some JD at bottling, I like how Denny Conn's BVIP turns out with adding the bourbon at bottling instead of aging on it. Any thoughts?QUOTE

It won't be KBS (different recipe) but it should be a good beer.

The version I made for Burning Man came out awesome. I didn't kill the keg there, so I have some back at home now and it is a thick dark coffee monstrosity.

It was aged on 4 oz nibs, 3 vanilla beans and 1/2 oz bourbon soaked oak chips for 3 months with 2 oz of sumatra beans dry hopped for 3 weeks at the end. The flavors blend together very well and it probably still how some room to grow if I don't tear into it. It went from 1.110-1.030 after massively missing the target and I added the bourbon oak chips to make it more like KBS. If I could get bottles of KBS, I would like to compare it to it.

I prefer dry hopping the beans and I don't think it hurts if they sit for a few weeks. The last batch i made while adding it to the boil was really astringent. This one has none of that. It is smooth.

The version I made for Burning Man came out awesome. I didn't kill the keg there, so I have some back at home now and it is a thick dark coffee monstrosity.

It was aged on 4 oz nibs, 3 vanilla beans and 1/2 oz bourbon soaked oak chips for 3 months with 2 oz of sumatra beans dry hopped for 3 weeks at the end. The flavors blend together very well and it probably still how some room to grow if I don't tear into it. It went from 1.110-1.030 after massively missing the target and I added the bourbon oak chips to make it more like KBS. If I could get bottles of KBS, I would like to compare it to it.

I prefer dry hopping the beans and I don't think it hurts if they sit for a few weeks. The last batch i made while adding it to the boil was really astringent. This one has none of that. It is smooth.

Did you crush or grind the beans at all when you "dry hopped" them?

Hi All,

I use a mesh hop sock that works just fine as well

I just dropped the whole beans straight into secondary while it was aging with everything else in there. I tested the partigyle I made off this batch with a smaller amount of coffee and went bigger on the man course. It could probably go even more on the coffee, but it is pretty well balanced across the board.

Its pretty heavy on the coffee and chocolate up front and the bourbon oak flavor seems to stick around afterwards. I approve of this batch, definitely a sipper.

Anyone have success or failure with adding lactose to this recipe? I've seen a few mentions of it but not much on results.

Do you all think a 1/2lb to 1 lb of lactose would be a nice addition? Or should I go with original recipe and why mess with a solid recipe approach?

Anyone have success or failure with adding lactose to this recipe? I've seen a few mentions of it but not much on results.

Do you all think a 1/2lb to 1 lb of lactose would be a nice addition? Or should I go with original recipe and why mess with a solid recipe approach?

I'm debating the coffee at bottling and thought about maybe some Lactose as well, but I like a sweeter stout.

Reading ale street news...

Some tidbits about the real founders recipe:

Nugget and williamette hops
Chocolate: Gibraltar milk chocolate chunks & bittersweet Orinoco chocolate
"two types" of coffee beans.
Flaked oats and "malt"

Not much, but the specific chocolate used is interesting.

TD

I added coffee beans, 2oz Egyptian Yirgacheffe and 2oz Sumatra, today and pulled a small sample beforehand. The sample was a little boozy still although i'm sure that will fade with a little more time. It didn't have as much of the back end roast that I was expecting, maybe that's how Founder's is, I haven't had the original so I can't compare it. Maybe the coffee addition will bring that out more but either way I think this is going to be an excellent winter, football watching sipper, good for those Sunday Night games!!

Just had a few glasses on a trip to Boston and Feel like my bitterness was a little too high, not enough dark chocolate, and could use a touch more coffee. Was an awesome drinking stout, so can't wait to work out perfecting it.

I've got my first attempt at the original recipe fermenting now, a gravity sample I took tasted great (before any coffee additions yet), but some lactose is definitely something I want to try if/when I make this again, along with adding some bourbon soaked oak to try and approximate KBS.

I've got my first attempt at the original recipe fermenting now, a gravity sample I took tasted great (before any coffee additions yet), but some lactose is definitely something I want to try if/when I make this again, along with adding some bourbon soaked oak to try and approximate KBS.

I don't have a good idea of how much yet, but KBS has more high kiln/roast to it. It's higher gravity and i'm pretty sure has a higher FG too (though not has high for the 2015 version which is the best one I have tried)

I don't have a good idea of how much yet, but KBS has more high kiln/roast to it. It's higher gravity and i'm pretty sure has a higher FG too (though not has high for the 2015 version which is the best one I have tried)

Yea I don't think I'll be able to really clone KBS with my current setup, and I'm fine with that, but I figure I can make a pretty tasty beverage by throwing in some oak and good bourbon next time.

Back