FOUND!!! X331 Hops (Strata)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
based on when the name (strata) was given, I will guess last year. Hope they were stored well

Need more. Lots more. I hope this year's crop is good and I can get them in time.

Just found some 2018 from Hop Heaven on fleabay. This hop is truly in the realm of citra/mosaic/galaxy for NEIPA.

Picked up some Sabro and Strata, hate spending $30/lb, but new is fun!

Strata is legit. I made a NEIPA with it 2 years ago (first year I think it was available to homebrewers) and it turned out great. Paired it with Citra. People said it tasted like liquid marijuana. One of my better batches I think. I haven't brewed with this year's crop yet. Order 4 8oz bags though so that will soon be rectified.

Never used Sabro. The coconut descriptor kind of keeps me away.

Report back - this year's batch is not as good as last year's (terrioir?? weather??).

https://learn.kegerator.com/strata-hops/

The description from here is spot on in my experience. I went through 5lbs of 2017 harvest. The 2018 harvest that I got from HopHeaven has more pronounced dank earth / diesel / catty and less guava, passionfruit, orange zest. I have 3lbs of 2018 to use up now...

For the Sabro, I was planning on doing a pineapple milkshake NE IPA, single hop style. Pina colada time!

Be careful the Sabro is very potent, especially flavor wise.

Bummed about the Strata. I got a Lb from hop heaven and was going to order more from yvh. Might have to anyways. Might be slightly different.

The commercial brewers have been pretty pumped on the 2018 Strata they’ve been getting. And now that I think of it I’ve had a few Strata beers from reputable breweries and they tasted/smelled exactly as I remember when I’ve used that hop. To me Strata is like Nelson with tons of weed instead of diesel oil.

Last edited:
Did YVH literally sell it all that fast? Says they’re all out of stock.

They sold out of pounders really quick and the half pounders sold out less than an hour later. When the pounders sold out, there were about 65 half pound bags left and they were selling pretty briskly. After I put in my order, there were only about 50 left.

@couchsending
YVH often restocks the hot hops a little while after the initial round sells out. They did that with Galaxy this year. Maybe they package some and sell those, then package more and sell, etc.? I'd check back periodically if you are looking for them.

This was the equivalent of a free TV on Black Friday event. They were gone as fast as the notifications went out. had 216 1-pounders in stock. Two hours later, there were none. Found some 1-lb bags at a secret location. They ran out within an hour as well.

Be careful the Sabro is very potent, especially flavor wise.

Bummed about the Strata. I got a LV from hop heaven and was going to order more from yvh. Might have to anyways. Might be slightly different.

The commercial brewers have been pretty pumped on the 2018 Strata they’ve been getting.

With the Sabro, how potent are we talking? Like if I normally use 12-16 oz (Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy types) in a 5 gal batch, what would I adjust to? How about hot v cold side?

@couchsending
YVH often restocks the hot hops a little while after the initial round sells out. They did that with Galaxy this year. Maybe they package some and sell those, then package more and sell, etc.? I'd check back periodically if you are looking for them.

Second this. I emailed Jim with Indie Hops in October ‘18 he said there is plenty of Strata this year to meet contracts and have some left for resellers. He said to keep checking YVH, Farmhouse, and HopHeaven.

My experience above is for whirlpool only. I have not done Dryhop only yet with 2018 - fingers crossed...

With the Sabro, how potent are we talking? Like if I normally use 12-16 oz (Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy types) in a 5 gal batch, what would I adjust to? How about hot v cold side?

I would say you could almost use half. I did a Sabro/Galaxy/Vic Secret beer that was actually less parts Sabro than the others and it still dominates. And those are the two most potent hops I know of.

I know it’s hard to believe but it’s crazy how it’s translates to the finished beer. The aroma is awesome but the flavor just ends up being too strong/woody almost.

I would say you could almost use half. I did a Sabro/Galaxy/Vic Secret beer that was actually less parts Sabro than the others and it still dominates. And those are the two most potent hops I know of.

I know it’s hard to believe but it’s crazy how it’s translates to the finished beer. The aroma is awesome but the flavor just ends up being too strong/woody almost.

Alright I may go with 8 oz/5 gal (split between hot/cold side) to start, can always dry hop again in the keg.

Alright I may go with 8 oz/5 gal (split between hot/cold side) to start, can always dry hop again in the keg.

Let me know how it goes. Got my hands on some unreleased hbc692 from a local large brewery. Supposedly it’s a daughter of Sabro and is a little less “cedar”. Stoked to try it out.

HBC692 was only patented in June - there's some detail in the patent and here :

• Sabro™ provides a new direction in flavor complexity with its signature flavors of tangerine, coconut, cream caramel, vanilla, cedar, dill and stone fruit.
  • HBC 692: A progeny resulting from a cross with Sabro™. HBC 692 delivers a robust flavor profile that should especially please fans of bold IPAs. Flavors are grapefruit, pine, and floral/rose.
  • HBC 472: A sister to Sabro™, both of which trace to wild neomexicanus lineage. Very unique flavors of vanilla, oak, citrus and bourbon.
  • HBC 586: A very pungent hop that delivers flavors of mango, pepper, and citrus.
  • HBC 353: An old school throwback hop which has been kicking around for a long time. It has a Willamette-ish flavor profile with herbal, woody, and faint fruitiness. It is an excellent choice for crisp, clean, and elegant lagers.

Yeah I had a beer he made with it (a head brewer that still home brews which is cool) and just like Sabro the smell of the pellets comes right through in the finished beer. He buffered it with some Simcoe and Citra as it also was very potent on it’s own. I definitely didn’t get much pine or floral rose.

Just ordered a couple pounds. I'm envisioning some dank and tropical strata/galaxy(my favorite hop) IPAs in my future.

I also came across Medusa hops. They sound great and right up my alley as far as hops I like. Has anyone brewed much with them?

Second this. I emailed Jim with Indie Hops in October ‘18 he said there is plenty of Strata this year to meet contracts and have some left for resellers. He said to keep checking YVH, Farmhouse, and HopHeaven.

My experience above is for whirlpool only. I have not done Dryhop only yet with 2018 - fingers crossed...

As promised - Dry Hop Only...YES YES YES!!!! No diesel/catty as was observed when whirlpooled

Whirlpool for test batch was blend of Simcoe, Citra, Bravo, Motueka

My experience of potency: Mosaic>>>Galaxy>Simcoe>Strata>Citra

Just ordered a couple pounds. I'm envisioning some dank and tropical strata/galaxy(my favorite hop) IPAs in my future.

I also came across Medusa hops. They sound great and right up my alley as far as hops I like. Has anyone brewed much with them?

I recently brewed a single hop session ipa, quite enjoyable (1 oz/gal each hot and cold side, so 8 oz in 4 gal batch). If they weren’t $30/lb I’d use them again, but it wasn’t special enough in my opinion to justify Galaxy prices.

But it’s not quite Galaxy prices.. Sabro is though.

Strata seems to be about the same as Citra/Mosaic in general. 22.99/lb. I think it’s unique and potent enough to be that price but not much more. Nelson is the worst. I don’t think that hop is worth even close to what it goes for if you can find it.

But it’s not quite Galaxy prices.. Sabro is though.

Strata seems to be about the same as Citra/Mosaic in general. 22.99/lb. I think it’s unique and potent enough to be that price but not much more. Nelson is the worst. I don’t think that hop is worth even close to what it goes for if you can find it.

Sorry, was talking about Medusa. $30/lb on Yakima, is it cheaper elsewhere?

I think I’d buy it if it were Citra/Mosaic prices though, which is kinda funny when you think about it, only $3-5 more dollars a batch :)

Just an idea...
Would putting my strata hops in a dark beer with a focus on earthy tones be a waste? I would still use them late boil.
Hasnt happened yet. Just looking for opinions.

Just an idea...
Would putting my strata hops in a dark beer with a focus on earthy tones be a waste? I would still use them late boil.
Hasnt happened yet. Just looking for opinions.
I would not. The earthy tones are a backdrop flavor IMO - with citrusy up front and would shine through after it conditions which would seem out of place in a dark beer

Back