Found Two Extract Kits in by Basement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modelflyer2003

Reaction score
I found two extract kits in my basement I had forgotten all about. I purchased then November or December of 2015. I still had the yeast in the Northern Brewer shipping box. The basement stays about 62 deg in the Winter and 65 in in the Summer. We did have an incident this summer that may have allowed the basement to get up into the 70's. I will replace the yeasts. One is a Dry Irish Stout and the other is a Big Honkin' Stout. I plan to brew one of them this weekend. I'm not sure of the shelf life. Think they are any good?

If the hops in there were not refrigerated then they're junk. If the grains were milled, then they're unlikely to be good unless they were vacuum sealed. Extract at that point may be OK, but likely will be darker and maybe a bit metallic/extracty. If it's in cans, make sure they aren't swollen.

I would imagine that the steeping grains might still be ok, but I think the hops probably have been depleted. The extract might still be ok. You might as well try it.

Grains not vacuum packed are too stale. Dry yeast would be OK. Liquid likely not. LME would be shot but DME could be OK. Hops sealed in nitrogen could still be salvageable but assume about 1/3 less potency. If not sealed, they are probably useless.

Back