Quantcast

Found the Golden Monkey!!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Wayne Havens

Reaction score
Back in 2001 I attended a Belgian beer festival in Washington DC. I got to meet Michael Jackson and Chris White. During the festival they, of course, had a beer tasting. Both Belgian and domestic brewers where represented. For me, one of the domestic stand outs was a brewery in PA called Victory Brewing Company. They had an exquisit Belgian tripple called Golden Monkey. I have been longing for this beer since that day. According to their website, they do not currently no distribution here in Texas. Imagine my suprise when I find the Golden Monkey in my local beer store! Mind you, I paid 10 dollars for this 6 pack, but for as rarely as I can get it, the 10 buck was well worth it. :cool: Has anyone else tried their beers? The only other one I have tried is the Prima Pils.

SwAMi75

Banned
Reaction score
I've never had a Victory beer. There's a brewery here called Old Dominion, and I read somewhere that the head brewer from OD left, and is now at Victory. OD does a beer called Tupper's Hop Pocket, which I'm sure he played a part in before his departure.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
Victory will be at the Stoudt's microfest in PA this Saturday. I liked their Imperial, but that's all I've tried.

OP
W

Wayne Havens

Reaction score
Yup, I found it at Spec's in Atascocita. I talked to another guy who works a copperfields and he says they carry it. He also told me they had their hop devil IPA. I will go this week and look

ryser2k

Reaction score
I've been to the brewery, it's in Downingtown, PA. It's a former Tastykake factory :)

I've had most of their beers, I have to say that the Hopdevil is my favorite. That is their flagship beer and you can get it at most places around Philly, including the ballpark. I didn't really like the Golden Monkey, but I'm not a big fan of Belgians. It was funny though, as soon as I saw the topic of this thread, I knew exactly what we would be talking about... that was a good name choice on Victory's part.

They have a big line of beers, you can check it out at http://www.victorybeer.com/Beers/Beers.htm. They have another one not listed there called the Victory V12, it is 12% abv. They only let you order one if you get it at the restaurant in the brewery :D

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
I had the golden monkey for lunch this afternoon - I am not an aficianado of Belgian beers this one was an ok take it or leave it kind of thing. Their hop devil is pretty good too, but I am not the best person to ask. (I favor sweet syrupy german brews to bitter hop juice)

Dude

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
NEPABREWER said:
I had the golden monkey for lunch this afternoon - I am not an aficianado of Belgian beers this one was an ok take it or leave it kind of thing. Their hop devil is pretty good too, but I am not the best person to ask. (I favor sweet syrupy german brews to bitter hop juice)
I love the monkey!!!!!

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
NEPABREWER said:
I'm with you...

JRGSPE73

Reaction score
I've had the Hop Devil as well, and as my affinity for hops grows, I find it increasingly tasty :mug:

Is anyone planning on going to any of the brewfests at Stoudts this year? I think the next one is on 6/10.