Dry Hop Experimental WLP 029 Pale Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epos7

Reaction score
I took a shot at brewing a pale ale with WLP 029 last Monday, and it's happily fermenting away now. Here's what I came up with for a 10 gallon batch:

Sasquatch Pale Ale (brewed the weekend of Sasquatch Music Festival here in Washington)

5lb 2-Row
5lb White Wheat
3.5lb Belgian Pilsner
2lb Munich 10L
2lb Maris Otter
0.5lb CaraFoam
0.5lb CaraPils
0.5lb Crystal 20

0.5oz Chinook @ FWH
0.25oz Columbus @ 50 min
0.5oz Chinook @ 30 min
0.5oz Ekuanot @ 15 min
1oz Loral @ 10 min
1oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1.5oz Loral @ 0 min

OG came in at 1.054 for a 10 gallon batch. Brewer's Friend calls it 47 IBU.

The homebrew store was closed over Memorial weekend, so I made a recipe out of what I had. I also wanted to use some hops I haven't tried yet.

The smell coming from the fermenters is great. I'll likely do a dry hop, just not quite sure whether to pick one variety of hops to use, or some combination of what I put in the boil. I think WLP 029 can accentuate hops quite a bit, so I don't want to overdo it and end up with a beer that's all hops and no malt.

Nice, low amounts of many malts for complexity? How do you like Loral?

Nice, low amounts of many malts for complexity? How do you like Loral?

Yeah, most of the recipes I have tried so far have been a relatively simple grain bill. This is my first attempt at an original recipe, and I tried to combine what I've learned from those into something that won't overpower the floral, melon, and citrusy characteristics of the hops while working within the constraints of the grain I had on hand. I also wanted it to be lighter in color for a refreshing appearance.

This is my first time brewing with both Loral and Ekuanot. I have two carboys, so I could dry hop each a little differently for added experimentation.

I dry hopped the 10 gallons as follows:

0.5oz Chinook
1oz Ekuanot
1.5oz Loral
1.5oz Amarillo

I kept the Chinook and Ekuanot ratios constant, but in one carboy I did two parts Loral to one part Amarillo, and in the other, I did the opposite. It will be interesting to compare the two.

I bottled this yesterday. Finished at 1.011. Hydrometer sample smelled and tasted great, and it has an awesome pale golden color with some orange hues. I'll report back in a month when I crack one open.

Well crap, I forgot to keep the bottles from the two different dry hops separate. Now it's a guessing game.

This turned out pretty well, though it is more bitter than I was expecting. Bitter enough that I'd place it solidly in the IPA category. Could be the Chinook that was used as a bittering addition; I've read it can have some bite to it.

I can't tell any difference between the two different dry hops. I think the Ekuanot and Chinook dry hops may be overpowering the more subtle Loral and Amarillo.

Anyway, good beer. Maybe not the best way to combine these hops, though. I don't know that I'm picking up much of the Loral or Amarillo.

edit - I take it back. This beer is very good; the overwhelming bitterness has faded considerably after a few more days in bottle, allowing the more subtle hoppy notes to shine.

Latest posts

Back