FotHB V: KNO3 + S8 + C7H4O

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@PianoMan - Thanks for the bomb! How does this Rasp. Lemonade compare to previous batches? Same recipe? Also, should I force carb the Quad or drink as-is? Anddddd thanks for the Pinthouse glass...as I opened that box I was giddy thinking it must be a PH glass :)
View attachment 581618
I'm still working the 3gal Raspberry versions. This one is a bit sweet, at least to me, but do like the raspberry flavor. If you have a way to force carb the quad bottle go for it. The quad is like 5 months old. Between cold crash and barrel aging must have lost too much yeast. It's a bit sweet also to me.

You're welcome my friend and hope you enjoy all!

I'm still working the 3gal Raspberry versions. This one is a bit sweet, at least to me, but do like the raspberry flavor. If you have a way to force carb the quad bottle go for it. The quad is like 5 months old. Between cold crash and barrel aging must have lost too much yeast. It's a bit sweet also to me.

You're welcome my friend and hope you enjoy all!

That last Raspberry Lemonade I got was sweet (winecoolery) but still plenty flavorful, and it went down the belly just fine.

I have the same issue with a barrel aged sour, and I'm going to have the same issue with this Nyquil kettle sour. I am going to try to bottle carb with champagne yeast and table sugar and see what happens.

That last Raspberry Lemonade I got was sweet (winecoolery) but still plenty flavorful, and it went down the belly just fine.

I have the same issue with a barrel aged sour, and I'm going to have the same issue with this Nyquil kettle sour. I am going to try to bottle carb with champagne yeast and table sugar and see what happens.
Hopefully you won't have bottle bombs. Champaign yeast, EC1118, is what I use. Drops wort to 1.001.

I haven't totally figured out why some end up winey and some not (the not ones are way better). I suspect it has to do with yeast in suspension as I'm not totally consistent cold crashing the hard lemonades. But also something to do with the amount or when I add Potassium Sorbate.

Hopefully you won't have bottle bombs. Champaign yeast, EC1118, is what I use. Drops wort to 1.001.

I haven't totally figured out why some end up winey and some not (the not ones are way better). I suspect it has to do with yeast in suspension as I'm not totally consistent cold crashing the hard lemonades. But also something to do with the amount or when I add Potassium Sorbate.

By the time I add yeast in the bottle the beer won't have any active yeast (killing with heat as I also have to kill the amalyse enzyme, from what I understand). It's pretty much the same with my barrel aged sour; I pulled 0 (or near 0) yeast with it when I moved it to the barrel.

One box has landed safely, one more to go!

It’s interesting that I sent two boxes out to different locations through USPS, using the 3 day shipment, and neither made it safely. And the 5 day UPS shipment made it safe and sound. One more to go so we’ll see.

So to answer the age old question "What happens when a beer bottle busts in a USPS shipment?"....

And to answer this question, nothing.., at least for me.[emoji6]

Last edited:
I'm a lucky boy..So much beer in my home. My HBs...others' HBs...retail from all over the country. How did we live before the 21st century?
20180801_182310.jpeg

Of course I had to open my mouth! Well, either way they give my money back so oh well. Also, this was written in pencil, lol, so I doubt they have since flagged my account. I'll continue with ignorance, lol.

SHOCKED that anything could have leaked from the box. That ish was packaged well and taped to high heaven.

IMG_20180802_132024.jpg

Of course I had to open my mouth! Well, either way they give my money back so oh well. Also, this was written in pencil, lol, so I doubt they have since flagged my account. I'll continue with ignorance, lol.

SHOCKED that anything could have leaked from the box. That ish was packaged well and taped to high heaven.

View attachment 581865
Wonder why Pedeo gave @Scturo a reprieve? And 9 beers...that sucks. Bet those Denver folks partied it up. I say call them and ask which ones they liked best.

Wonder why Pedeo gave @Scruro a reprieve? And 9 beers...that sucks. Bet those Denver folks partied it up. I say call them and ask which ones they liked best.

Big ole batch of homebrews, doh! As long as they cover the insurance cost which the online claim says they will, I don't mind. They just covered my next batch of brews, so fook it!

Big ole batch of homebrews, doh! As long as they cover the insurance cost which the online claim says they will, I don't mind. They just covered my next batch of brews, so fook it!

Do you plan on using USPS again @TwistedGray? I’m think of trying again. It is a lot faster and cheaper to use them.

Yeah, I think I may try again. In most cases they are cheaper and faster...I think it depends a lot on the physical size of the box.

What would cost me $70 to ship to the east coast with ups, would cost me $38 in two USPS large boxes. That another brew day of savings. Gotta stretch the nickels when possible.

Got my box from Scturo. Arrived in good shape this time. Thanks for the extras. I put a couple extras in the box coming to you also. It should arrive Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed. Seems like a lot of packages are getting lost this round.

IMG_20180803_153143741.jpg

Got my box from Scturo. Arrived in good shape this time. Thanks for the extras. I put a couple extras in the box coming to you also. It should arrive Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed. Seems like a lot of packages are getting lost this round.

View attachment 582011

Glad everything made it. Looking forward to yours, Cheers!

I haven't heard anything here for a while. How is everyone doing on their packages? I was going to wait a little while and let the weather cool down and the interest pick up before starting the next round. Is there still interest in the homebrew trade? I know I enjoy it.

I still have yet to ship mine, unfortunately, but got the first half bottled/packed earlier this week.

That said, I’m out of the brewing game until PicoBrew finally ships the Z1. Supposedly that’s later this month. I’m guessing late October is more realistic...

I'm in for the HB trades! Late September at the earliest would be great. With all the HBs posted on What are you Drinking Now...pretty sure we can get a few more participants.

Back