Fortified Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony9i9i9i

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing a Coppers Stout and am thinking fortifying it with a bottle of port would be lovely.

Has anyone tried this? If so at what part of the process would you do it? I'm thinking near the end of fermenting a couple of days before bottling/kegging.

Good idea or would the yeast start fermenting the sugars in the port? If it did would you lose the port flavour?

Tony.

Hi Tony, I have 0 experience with this but I did a little research and from what I gather your best best is to add the port to a secondary fermenter, rack the beer on top and let it mingle for a while.

My guess is any yeast left in suspension may go after the sugar in the port so you might lose some flavor.

Since this is your first time, instead of going all in why not package the stout and add port to a glass of beer or visa versa and see what the flavor profile is like. Then once you get an idea of the ratio you can scale up and try a full batch.

Thanks for the response Sammy. I'm only on my second brew but having read a number of posts and watched a lot of YouTube videos, I'm going with the leave it in the fermenting bucket for 2 weeks and then bottle/keg it. I'm only using kits.

I think the old dropping a shot of port in a pint of Guinness is well understood and is what I'm after. But take on board the don't go all in advice.

It's bottling/kegging day tomorrow, I think I'll try half the bottles (8 * 500ml in total) with the recommended sugar tablets and half with half the tablets and a shot of port and see how they work out, then keg the rest.

Back