Fortifed Cider versus Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas996

Reaction score
Ok, I need some clarification and hopefully you mead folks can shed some light. I consider myself a cider guy, but I fortify with honey rather than other sugars because I GREATLY appreciate the honey notes in my cider. I personally consider my cider "honey fortified" rather than a cyser, as I understood a cyser to be defined by 1 lb of honey or more per gallon of cider ( I use 3 lb. in a 5.5 gallon pitch). Am I correct in my definition (which I found in some other part of the interwebs) or do I need to be corrected? Am I actually creating Cyser?

I think it depends on how much honey character it has. If it has little, it's probably better to call it a cider. If it has a lot, then call it a cyser.

I don't like straight ciders either. But I generally use close to, if not more than a pound of honey per gallon of juice. Mine generally carry a mead-like quality to them.

My brew is apple-y and tart with a slight sweetness and detectable but subtle honey notes. Not too be overly analytical- but that's what I get. I would like to get it into competition (on a low level) but I don't know where it would compete; and that may well be dependent on the competition I suppose.

I want the ABV fortification in my cider- I just prefer the honey character to straight sugar or brown! :)

From an old BJCP entry guideline. So if you just add honey directly to apple juice or cider and ferment it you are making a cyser. I dont think the 50% rule can apply here because that would mess up the FG, if you have really ripe apples at 1.070, to add half honey you would be over 1.14 and be limited by the style you want to make. We have been making cysers this year just by adding enough honey to get to our final OG, a little honey with good tannic apples really makes a nice cyser. WVMJ

Ingredients:
Standard description applie
s. Cyser is a standard
mead made with the addition of apples or apple juice.
Traditionally, cysers are made by the addition of honey to apple
juice without additional water. A spiced cyser, or a cyser with
other ingredients, should be entered as an Open Category Mead.
Comments:
There should be an appealing blend of the fruit and
honey character but not necessarily
an even balance. Generally a
good tannin-sweetness balance is
desired, though very dry and
very sweet examples do exist

Back