Form to wrap immersion chiller tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
I am searching for 9" and 6" forms for a double-coil immersion chiller and just can't seem to find pipe or other items in those diameters. Any suggestions?

I bought the round concrete molding tubes from Menards and then returned them when I was done. like the thing you would use to bury a basketball hoop or fence post.

Don't suppose you have a keg or CO2 tank laying around? Not sure of their exact dimensions, but know they work well. 6" diameter will be tough though....especially if you're working with anything more than 1/4" copper.

Quicktube.jpg

Inside - good idea.
Six inch ID - I will re-think it and see if a nested double coil is possible.

Solder cap on one end, pack the tube with salt or clean sand, solder cap on other end, and you don't need a bender. Allows a pretty tight coil without worry of kinking. Just remember if its too tight the filling is a pita to get rinsed out.

Solder cap on one end, pack the tube with salt or clean sand, solder cap on other end, and you don't need a bender. Allows a pretty tight coil without worry of kinking. Just remember if its too tight the filling is a pita to get rinsed out.
Spring Benders are less than $5.00 at Home Depot or Lowes, save yourself the trouble of making a mess and get the bender ;)

Spring Benders are less than $5.00 at Home Depot or Lowes, save yourself the trouble of making a mess and get the bender ;)

I have a full set of spring benders. I also run a sandblaster in my shop so i got sand. I've always got a prettier end result will filling the tube and have never made what I would call a mess. Cut the ends off, solder on hose fitting, put coil in trash can, and turn on water. Only problem I've ever had was making a 2 inch coil for a chiller for other purposes. Swapped to salt with those and while its not a perfect fix it comes out better.

I have a full set of spring benders. I also run a sandblaster in my shop so i got sand. I've always got a prettier end result will filling the tube and have never made what I would call a mess. Cut the ends off, solder on hose fitting, put coil in trash can, and turn on water. Only problem I've ever had was making a 2 inch coil for a chiller for other purposes. Swapped to salt with those and while its not a perfect fix it comes out better.

Thats a whole lot of effing salt!

3/8th tubing about 2 foot long after coiled and was too long but more is better, lol. Different beast than a wort chiller for a different forum.

iaefebs said:
How much salt is that for what diameter tubing, at what length?

Don't use sand or salt, the soft copper comes in a wound coil as it is. Just plug one end with a cap or rubber stopper and fill it up with water. Once full with no air bubbles cap the other end with what ever you used on the other side and freeze! Once it's frozen take the caps off, grab some gloves and form your bends! The water/ice will push out while you wrap leaving very little mess zero cleaning and no sand or salt to deal with! It's supper simple trust me!

Back