Forgot to turn temp control during active fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After around 48 hours into fermentation, I dry hopped my 11 gallon batch (fermzilla) and turned off the fridge so air wouldn't blow while the lid was off. Anyway i dropped my hops in as krausen was dying down (around 48 hours in). US-04 at 62f.... i then forgot to turn back on the temp control. This is inside a converted standard refrigerator. So with the doors closed and 11 gallons at 63f it slowly started rising (I'm assuming) to 77f about 30 hours later. Seems like fermentation is completely finished now - haven't checked gravity.

Do you guys think this would cause off flavors? Hopefully the majority of yeast finish their job before getting too hot.

Normally i dry hop everything in my kegs, but i was improvising a double dry hop.... just for the hell of it. This is what i get for not sticking to the plan.

i think you'll be alright, pitched at good temp, had a good 30 hours at decent temp, yeah it can cause off flavors but maybe its fine i would set it to 70 and leave it a bit , did you have a good pitch and oxygenation?

i think you'll be alright, pitched at good temp, had a good 30 hours at decent temp, yeah it can cause off flavors but maybe its fine i would set it to 70 and leave it a bit , did you have a good pitch and oxygenation?

Yeah. Took off fast. I use a stone for oxygen. Thanks.

It's like you just went early and overkill on the D-rest.. a similar thing happened to me once but because the power went out for a few days, all was well. Hopefully yours will be also. I dont dry hop during fermentation though so not sure how that will play a roll.

It's like you just went early and overkill on the D-rest.. a similar thing happened to me once but because the power went out for a few days, all was well. Hopefully yours will be also. I dont dry hop during fermentation though so not sure how that will play a roll.

Thanks. I am also worried about "hop creep" now that the temp is at 75f. It's a hazy ipa. I only added 4 oz of dry hops. I dropped it to 70 so that will take a few hours to cool. I'm wondering if i should just cold crash it now.... or let it sit at 70 to clean anything up. Uggghh. There were no bubbles in the airlock. I put on a spunding valve and added some CO2 while the temp drops.

I'd let it stay around 70 for another couple days, then soft crash to 50 if your doing another dry hop. If not I'd still leave it at 70ish. For a few more days then crash it... probably crash for atleast 48 hours. Hopefully hop burn wont be an issue.

Thanks. I am also worried about "hop creep" now that the temp is at 75f. It's a hazy ipa. I only added 4 oz of dry hops. I dropped it to 70 so that will take a few hours to cool. I'm wondering if i should just cold crash it now.... or let it sit at 70 to clean anything up. Uggghh. There were no bubbles in the airlock. I put on a spunding valve and added some CO2 while the temp drops.
Did you mash on the high end? If you mashed low for a dry beer ( being IPA i assume you did) I wouldn’t worry about hop creep and even if you do get hop creep just keep temp at 70 and let finish hop creep is really only a concern to commercial brewers who need to turn beers around on schedule, for homebrewers we have time on our side and just leaving it alone to allow the second ferment to finish and you are gold, plus reducing or eliminating dextrine grains and mashing low makes it even less of a issue

Last edited:
Did you mash on the high end? If you mashed low for a dry beer ( being IPA i assume you did) I wouldn’t worry about hop creep and even if you do get hop creep just keep temp at 70 and let finish hop creep is really only a concern to commercial brewers who need to turn beers around on schedule, for homebrewers we have time on our side and just leaving it alone to allow the second ferment to finish and you are gold, plus reducing or eliminating dextrine grains and mashing low makes it even less of a issue

Thanks. Yeah i mashed at 149. That makes sense. I will let it sit at 70 for a little bit.

Back