Forgot to rinse PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey006

Reaction score
Hey !

I just finish a brew day, and I just want to know if I have to throw my 20L batch away :(
At the end of the boiling stage, I added some hops, and use my Stirring Paddle to mix that in the mash.
The problem is that this Stirring Paddle was resting in a PBW solution and I didn't rinse it before putting it in the mash.
I tought at first that this should not be a big problem as there was very few PBW on it when I plunged it in the mash. But tasting before fermentation, there was a really bitter/soapy taste.
However I'm not sure if this is due to the hop (first time I use that much hop (citra/centennial)), or if it's really a bitter taste due to the PBW.
What do you think ? Should I throw away ? Wait few days of fermentation and taste again to see the evolution ?

Thank you

I wouldn't think the 5-6 ml of PBW would be of any significance in 20L

I agree. If it's just whatever was on the paddle without rinsing, I say let it finish then see, by then you probably won't notice. Fresh wort after the boil always tastes harsh before it ferments, so don't worry about that.

Latest posts

Back