Forgot to Replace O-Rings on Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njnear76

Reaction score
I probably should have replaced the o-rings before I added beer to the keg. I guess I assumed that the kegs were pretty much ready to go after a good cleaning.

I did take apart the keg fully and soaked the o-rings in oxyclean and they did not appear to smell like soda.

Should I relax and have a home brew or should I open the keg up and replace the o-rings before tapping it? The kegs were from kegconnections.

Mike

If the o-rings look to be in good shape, have no smell, and your keg is holding pressure then you're probably fine.

Still, if you're worried about it, it's not too late to replace them.

Unless they smelled like rootbeer, you're fine. That smell will overtake any beer that gets near it. Wait until they start to wear out then replace them, no need to replace good o-rings, just keep 'em lubed.

It's been naturally carbonating for a couple of weeks now. Maybe I should have a little taste and see. Since I have not started refrigerating it yet, any off smells/tastes could easily be observed.

njnear,

Man can i just tell you we are in the same boat? i got my gear from keg connection and also completly forgot to replace the o rings, they say they soak the kegs so we will see.. its so funny that you brought this up becasue last night i realized this and i filled 2 kegs like a week ago.

How long has the beer been in the keg?
If just kegged, I would personally replace the rings, re-pressurize and purge the air out a few times.
Risk of infection is your biggest issue

How long has the beer been in the keg?
If just kegged, I would personally replace the rings, re-pressurize and purge the air out a few times.
Risk of infection is your biggest issue

2 weeks or so. But I did oxy-clean all the post parts and rubber parts. I also sanitized all that stuff in one-step.

see for me i sanitized everything just didnt remove the posts but im sure its no big deal.

see for me i sanitized everything just didnt remove the posts but im sure its no big deal.
Hmmm... I don't know. The worst case scenario is if it tastes bad, then you have to take off the posts. You did run sanitizer through the beer post right?

I'm wondering though how much of a deal replacing the o-rings. The beer should not be touching any of the o-rings except for the post ones. Am I wrong? Perhaps it might splash the lid one, but most people don't fill their kegs to the lid.

I've used the O rings that came with the kegs several times. I do clean them first, but other than that, there is no need to worry.

I've used the O rings that came with the kegs several times. I do clean them first, but other than that, there is no need to worry.
Thanks McKBrew. I thought they were good enough to go provided you cleaned them pretty well.

Update:
I think I'm going to replace the o-rings tonight just for piece of mind.

I checked another of my clean kegs with the old o-rings and there was no detectable smell so I doubt I have an soda odor issue going on with the kegged beer.

I naturally carbed this beer so I guess I'll have to force carb it now?

I did not detect any bad smells from the old o-rings when I changed them out. But, I'm glad I changed them.

Back