Forgot to get the OG on brew day! Not a big deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madbird1977

Reaction score
Okay brewed up my 6th batch of brew, NB Fat Tire clone on Sunday and got it perfect but missed one step. Taking the OG...

So any big deal, I know the yeat was rocking for a few days and no is ticking away slowly. I was thinking of only doing a primary for 4 weeks with it then kegging it.

So my question is should i just check the OG in a few more days and see if its about the correct level on the NB 1.052.

Just wondering. Also, I'm working on a 3 perlick tap fridge this next week. Can't wait to get it going as I have an honey ale and brown ale kegged and waiting to chill.

Cheers!

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you check the gravity in a few days, and your yeast has been actively fermenting, your gravity will definitely not be 1.052 (if that's what your target OG was supposed to be?)

No big deal. You won't know your ABV exactly, but that's not really a critical matter ;) If you are using an extract kit, then you can use the target OG with a lot of confidence - its nearly impossible to miss that target unless you add too much or too little water.

Jim

the 1.052 is the final OG target reading. So I'm going to let it sit for 4 weeks and keg it up.

the 1.052 is the final OG target reading. So I'm going to let it sit for 4 weeks and keg it up.

Hi Madbird. Original Gravity "OG" is the gravity of your wort before the yeast start to work on it. Final Gravity "FG" is the gravity of your beer after the yeast is all done working on it.

The 1.052 is the target OG of your recipe. Your FG will likely be 1.012, give or take 0.006 points in either direction (depending on recipe, yeast strain and health, etc.)

Hope this helps!

What is a "final OG"?

ditto, though I'm assuming that's you you mean your OG is 1.052. Your FG might be something like 1.012, but that depends.

Original Gravity (OG)
The Original Gravity is the specific gravity measured before the commencement of fermentation. From it the analyst can compute the Original Extract which is the mass (grams) of sugar in 100 grams of wort (°P) by use of the Plato scale. The symbol p will denote OE in the formulas which follow.
Final Gravity (FG)
The Final Gravity is the specific gravity measured at the completion of fermentation. The Apparent Extract, denoted m, is the °P obtained by inserting the FG into the formulas or tables in the Plato article. The use of "apparent" here is not to be confused with the use of that term to describe specific gravity readings which have not been corrected for the effects of air.

(I added bold / highlight)

Sounds like your confused between OG (original gravity) and FG (final gravity)
You're OG was probably 1.052 or therebout. After fermenting, you're probably hoping to get between 1.01 and 1.02 depending on the recipe and what the yeast decide they want to do.

I did this on my first batch (only on my second!) and from what I understand it doesn't matter, just make sure that the gravity is stable for a few days (i.e. it's definitely finished fermenting) before you keg it.

As was pointed out above, you won't know your ABV but this is fun to calculate yourself by judging how drunk you are after 4 of them :)

thanks for the advice, I get it know I think. So my OG is 1.052 before adding yeast into wort. Okay got it. My FG should be around 1.001 in about 4 weeks.

Can't wait to taste it. Smelled great going into the carboy.

Thx again.

Latest posts

Back