forgot to boil the corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsoxfan24

Reaction score
Well...as I threw the corn sugar into the bottling bucket, a terrible feeling of dread came over me. Did I just ruin the carbonation of my beer? I realize I'm supposed to boil the corn sugar in water and let it cool before pitching. But what do you think I'll be tasting in 2 weeks?:confused:

:mug: Relax at this point.
The main reason corn sugar is boiled with water is to kill any of the nasties that might be in it. It also helps to mix the sugar into the beer evenly. Did you stir it throughly?
I think you will be OK. It's harder for infections to get started in finished beer and I think corn sugar is pretty clean anyway. If you didn't stir enough you might have a problem with consistent carbonation from bottle to bottle but again don't worry about it.:mug:
Also, when you stir, don't whip up the beer. Do it very gently as to not introduce oxygen into the finished beer.
Let us know how it turns out.

By the way, welcome to HBT!

I did the same with my stout and it turned out fine. You boil the suger to melt it so if mixes better and get distributed in the bucket prior to bottling. the worst that should happen is some bottles might be more carbed then others.

Thanks for the encouragement. I did give it a thorough but gentle spins. Since the corn sugar was vaccum sealed, there's probably little chance it will be infected. I feel a lot better. We'll see how she tastes in two weeks.

Next, on the to do list. Dunkel Wiess. Then an American Pale Ale.

When I started brewing, I put a tsp of dextrose directly into the bottle and then filled it up. No worries about contamination.

+1 on everything that's been said. Boiling the bottling sugar is meant to kill off bacteria and give u a more even distribution of sugar in the bottling bucket. If u just dumped it in bucket and swirled it around, u should be fine. 2 weeks at room temp and it should carb up good

Back