Forgot to add sugar. What should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjartar

Reaction score
I am making my first cider using pasteurized apples cider from a local orchard. It is currently in the fermenter about 4 days. I now realized that I didn't add sugar.

What should I do? Just let it go? Or try to add brown sugar now?

I don't like the flavor when added sugar is fermented, but some people don't mind it. You can add it now or just skip it. Did you take a gravity reading?

Historically, cider was simply apple juice - and time. Today many add cultured yeast. There is no need to add sugar. Apple juice should have a gravity of about 1.045 -1.050. That translates to a potential ABV of about 6 - 6.5%. What's a typical beer? 3-6%? You can quaff your batch by the pint. Cheers, bjartar. Cheers. :)

I'd be relieved if I forgot to add sugar! My favorite way to make cider is to ferment good quality fresh pressed apples.

Adding sugar boosts the alcohol level, but it can also make the cider more "wine like" and less like cider.

I like my cider at about 5-6% ABV and that doesn't require sugar added to the fermentation.

That, and I think the taste of fermented brown sugar is pretty foul. Plain table sugar may be ok (but lowers the 'appleness') of the cider but once brown sugar ferments all that is left behind is a weird non-sweet molasses tastes that is odd at best and foul at worst to me.

You should let it finish and drink it!

I think sugar gives the cider harsh hooch-y flavors. I wouldnt want to ruin good fresh pressed juice with that.
If Im boosting ABV, Im doing it with apple juice concentrate, but even thats not always needed.

I used honey in mine and let it go dry, the ABV% went through the roof.
it tasted awesome but was too strong.

my second batch used less honey and I stopped it before it went dry and came out about 6%

so you should be fine in the ABV% if that is what you are worried about.

I'm with Yooper; unless you desire to make apple wine (apfelwine) then don't add any additional sugar. I am of the fan club of adding FAJC for fortifying the apple flavor a bit more and yes, it does increase the ABV%. I would say as a general starting point: 1 can of FAJC to one gallon of juice; it doesn't raise the SG a huge amount but it does help concentrate the Malic Acid adding to more "interest" on the palet.
By fortifying with FAJC it adds two benefits: it lowers the pH and it raises the ABV%, both of which will improve the ability to add age before drinking, as well as make the cider more "crisp" tasting.

As my five year old daughter sings around the house, " Let it go, let it go......" Give it time and an airlock and anxiously await the delicious results.

Back