Forgot to add lactose to Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
Has anyone ever forgotten to add lactose to a beer and added it during primary/secondary/ kegging? If so what were your techniques and how did it turn out. Any advise would be great. I have a 10gal batch split into 2 fermentors. Primary fermentation is only at day 3-fyi

You can add it to either your secondary or add it at bottling. Either way, you will want to dissolve it into boiling water then let it cool before adding it.

Does the lactose have to be boiled for any certain amount of time? I know the yeast won't ferment it but does a certain boiling time break down lactose into say a more soluable form. Its a stout so i'm not worried about clarity.

I don't mean to put words in jiggs casey's mouth, but the boiling is to prevent spoilage-causing bacteria and the like from making it into your beer. You shouldn't have trouble dissolving the lactose.

Back