Forgot to add Irish Moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I forgot to add Irish Moss to an American IPA with an OG of 1.068. Yeast is Nottingham. Will it clear, or are there any fining agents and procedures that you can recommend to achieve clarity? I wouldn't be too concerned about it if this batch was for the wife any myself, but I brewed it for my son-in-law and daughter. It will be bottled.

Nottingham is a highly flocculent yeast. I like to cold crash at under 45 degrees 24-48 hrs and add gelatin. I get very clear beers.

Time/Gravity. Cold crash. Gelatin. In my brews, irish moss and whirlfloc help solidify some of the gunk in the boil, allowing an easier transfer to ferementor. I don't really see a difference in clarity with or without it.

I haven't used it for a couple of years. My Daughter is allergic to the stuff (carrageenan). I use gelatin in the fermenter and get pretty clear beers.

Not noticed any difference in clarity of my beers.

Back